JF
Posted By
Jan_Finnell
Nov 28, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m finally upgrading from my B & W G3 Desktop, circa 1999. I have Photoshop 5.5. I’ll check with Adobe on this but am hoping that I will still be able to open my graphic files and pictures that I created in OS 9.2.2 with 5.5. I’ll be moving up to a 24" iMac and OS X and Tiger.

Not sure if ther’s an upgrade for that wide a span between 5.5 and the latest version of Photoshop. On the fence about whether to wait and buy CS3 – I’d like to learn the other programs besides Photoshop but realistically may never get to it!

Any advice will be greatly appreciated…

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

R
Ram
Nov 28, 2006
Jan,

A legitimate, registered copy of Photoshop 5.5 entitles you to upgrade straight to CS2 for $169 direct from Adobe or $145 from Amazon.com.

Yes, it will open your current Photoshop files created in Photoshop 5.5 with no problem.

Whether you want to wait for CS3 or not is your call. If your new iMac has an Intel chip, you will NOT be able to run Photoshop 5.5 on it as the Intel-Macs do not support Classic.

Rumors have it that the upgrade pricing structure might change with CS3, and that it will be more expensive to upgrade to CS3 from earlier versions than CS2. Just rumors, but who knows?
B
Buko
Nov 28, 2006
Its the same as any other upgrade. $149 but i’d wait til CS3 for the iMac or it will cost you twice as much. although 5.5 will not run on a Mactel.
JF
Jan_Finnell
Nov 28, 2006
Thanks, Ramon. Much appreciated.

Buko, what will be twice as expensive? The upgrade or the iMac?

BTW, I purchased Photoshop with an educational discount. Does that change anything?
R
Ram
Nov 28, 2006
No, the educational version can be upgraded to the full retail version.
P
PECourtejoie
Nov 28, 2006
"Buko, what will be twice as expensive?"

If you buy the CS2 upgrade now, then the CS3 one in 07…
B
Buko
Nov 28, 2006
Exactly.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections