RP
Posted By
Rick_Pusey
Oct 19, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a few basic questions related to print production. Normally color images submitted for printing are CMYK. Black in CMYK is a 4C build, instead of 100K. This is an issue that’s been discussed many times already, and DeviceN has been proposed as a solution. Is this a color mode that is in development, or is it purely theoretical at this point? DeviceN would do much more than solve the black definition problem. Since spot colors could potentially be included in the color mode, instead of relegated to separate channels outside of CMYK, this would be the biggest breakthrough in print design and production since, well, Photoshop 1, postscript output, and desktop publishing. Since spot colors, such as Pantone colors, are defined in Lab, it seems reasonable that wider gamut images from RGB could be mapped to combinations of spot colors, or CMYK and spot colors. Of course there is no proofing technology (as far as I know) that accurately renders spot color images, and one would have to be developed in order for printers to embrace a new color space. Still, hats off to whoever comes up with it – does anyone have input on this?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

MO
Mike_Ornellas
Oct 19, 2006
yes
JK
John_Kallios
Oct 19, 2006
What input are you looking for?
RP
Rick_Pusey
Oct 19, 2006
Do you mean that DeviceN is in the works? Someone should push for a better color space encompassing spot colors, that goes beyond the duotone mode or stacked spot channels. DeviceN allows for 8 channels – so CMYK + 4. There is software that generates images like this from a base CMYK image. Photospot comes to mind. The problem is, it only works properly when the starting space is CMYK, so the color is already truncated. Second, the spot colors cann’t be utilized in layer design – a huge drawback. DeviceN is the only way for designers to access more color. Since designers usually favor RGB, a conversion to DeviceN would help preserve out of gamut colors, and also help to eliminate the built black problem.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Oct 19, 2006
Rick –

Chris Cox knows what needs to be done – it’s just a matter of time to implement Device N color fill spot layers.
RP
Rick_Pusey
Oct 19, 2006
John – I replied before I saw your question. All I want to know is, is DeviceN even being considered by Photoshop engineers? It seems like the most logical step toward a wider print gamut. Large color gamuts do exist in ink/toner/dye distribution – hexachrome, touch plate software, even MetalFX. There are proofers with 8 print cartridges producing huge gamuts. But the mode in Photoshop is not there. There is no mode hexachrome, no 6 color mode or 8 color mode of any kind. Why is this? Why are there only 2 large color states (RGB and Lab)? I understand an eight channel mode being a problem years ago because of file size and processing speed, but that’s not an issue anymore. As it stands, if you have 4CP + spot, the spot is out of the loop. It’s not in the HSL, color balance, or selective color tools. It’s not in the channel mixer, and it’s separate from layers. Maybe there are workarounds for incorporating Pantones in layer design, but they should be included in the actual color space. Who has addressed this need, if anyone?
RP
Rick_Pusey
Oct 19, 2006
Thanks Mike. Chris, if you’re out there, good luck on making DeviceN available soon.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections