CF
Posted By
Carl_F_Edwards
Mar 3, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I too have some problems with Proof setup. Mine was set to CMYK, I think that’s the default, but when I edit a picture, get it perfect, then create a QT Movie of the images in iPhoto, they look washed out. It seems clear it has to do with the gamma setting. How should I set the Proof Setup in PShop CS and how should it be set in the Monitor setup on a Mac? Will the pictures I create for the magazines I shoot for look like they do on the editors monitor as they do on mine?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

GB
g_ballard
Mar 3, 2004
Carl,

PS’s default View> Proof Setup will SoftProof your WorkingCMYK — okay?

When you get your color "perfect" in PS, the color will Image> Mode> Convert to Profile (your Target ColorSpace) just as "perfect" — okay?

But you are seeing a gamma shift on your Mac screen when QT displays it — correct?

Then the question becomes:

What is the Target ColorSpace for my QT movie ?

The short answer is, to view the QT file correctly on your 1.8 Mac monitor, you need to feed iPHOTO a 1.8 gamma ColorSpace: PS> Image> Mode> Convert to Profile: AppleRGB

That is UNLESS you plan to view the movie on a 2.2 gamma screens like the WindowsPC, the www, the TV.

The point I and others have made in this thread is "calibrate" your Mac monitor to 2.2, set PS’s WorkingRGB to a 2.2 gamma space (like sRGB) — to make it easy for you…

In still other words, you’re (likely) feeding iPHOTO 2.2 gamma RGB, and viewing it on a 1.8 gamma monitor.

Further, PS’s colormanagementsystem automatically Converts your 2.2 gamma file into your 1.8 gamma monitor (behind the scenes) — QT is not colormanaged and is showing you the color in the 2.2 space (that you fed it) — hence the shift.

May want to review this thread…in still other words:

<http://www.gballard.net/psd/saveforwebshift.html>
H
Hexebah
Mar 3, 2004
I had some mis-understandings about CM recently and agree it can be confusing. Carl, read g’s earlier posts in this topic. His (and others) advice to me back then was invaluable. Calibrated monitor, correct PS colour settings and understanding your colour workflow is essential.

Here’s my daily grind…

Industrial neg scanner sends me untagged images (mystery meat). I know the output space of the scanner is very close to sRGB My working space is Adobe RGB.
When Photoshop informs me that the image I am opening has no profile attached, I assign sRGB and then convert to my current working space (so it isn’t getting mystery meat).
After edits, the image is then converted sRGB as this is the photo printers profile. The working/archive copy keeps the Adobe RGB profile in case I need to re-edit. Note, this is my workflow for my conditions. Yours may be different.

Chip
CF
Carl_F_Edwards
Mar 3, 2004
I’ve looked back thru all post and must have missed something in the PShop color settings post. From what I did get, you should set Proof Setup to Monitor RGB. What I’m missing is the Color setup in PS and in OSX Prefs>Displays. Should I be using a gamma/gray of 1.8, 2.2, or native? What color temp should I set in ColorSync? My working space is AdobeRGB(1998).
I only shoot pics for high res/color reproduction.
GB
g_ballard
Mar 3, 2004
I would suggest using PS> View> Proof Setup> Custom: ColorSpace feature for SoftProofing a target ColorSpace/ICCprofile.

For example, if you are viewing an AdobeRGB document in Photoshop, PS> View> Proof Setup> Custom: US Sheetfed Coated v2 to get a preview how the AdobeRGB will Convert to that CMYK on press.

For example, if you are viewing an AdobeRGB document in Photoshop, PS> View> Proof Setup> WindowsRGB to get a preview how the AdobeRGB will preview (unmanaged) on the www on a typical 2.2 Windows monitor.

For example, if you are viewing an AdobeRGB document in Photoshop, PS> View> Proof Setup> MonitorRGB to get a preview how the AdobeRGB will preview (unmanaged) on your display.

2.2 monitor gamma
2.2 workingRGB gamma
2.2 gray gamma
6500/D65 color temp

+++++

Feeding iPHOTO AdobeRGB (for a QuickTime) movie is a bad move because it is not a device profile — PS> Image> Mode> Convert to Profile> sRGB> Save As> TIFF> iPHOTO> QuickTime is what I would go with.
RM
Robert_Meador
Mar 4, 2004
Yep -that’s what I’m getting too. Soft proofing with "Monitor RGB" shows me exactly what I’ll get if I save-for-web and then view on the Mac. Can’t swear to the Windows RGB side of things, but it seems about right given what I’ve seen. As far as gamma goes, I’ve been tending toward 2.2 in my System Prefs/Display settings. No science behind it for me though.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections