M
Posted By
Mardon
Jul 27, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I posted this question a week ago in adobe.photoshop.elements but got no response. Can anyone here help?

Subject: Colour Management – Colour Working Space Question From: Mardon
Newsgroups: adobe.photoshop.elements

I’m asking this question for my sister who uses Elements 2.0.2 but does not have access to this newsgroup. I use CS2, and I’m not familiar with Elements, so I don’t know where to tell her to look in Elements to change settings. It sounds to me like she has a problem with her colour working space not matching her original images. She doesn’t get a warning prompt when an imported image does not match the working space (like I would get in CS2). If she opens a non- colour managed image, or an sRGB image, in Elements, the colours look washed out compared to what she sees if she opens the same image in her web browser. If she opens that same image in Corel Photopaint 12.0.0.536, it looks just like the image looks in her web browser. Can someone provide instructions for how she can configure Elements
2.0 to solve this problem.? TIA

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

R
ronviers
Jul 27, 2006
Is she using Corel on the same computer as Elements?
RG
Roy G
Jul 27, 2006
"Mardon" wrote in message
I posted this question a week ago in adobe.photoshop.elements but got no response. Can anyone here help?

I’m asking this question for my sister who uses Elements 2.0.2 but does not have access to this newsgroup. I use CS2, and I’m not familiar with Elements, so I don’t know where to tell her to look in Elements to change settings. It sounds to me like she has a problem with her colour working space not matching her original images. She doesn’t get a warning prompt when an imported image does not match the working space (like I would get in CS2). If she opens a non- colour managed image, or an sRGB image, in Elements, the colours look washed out compared to what she sees if she opens the same image in her web browser. If she opens that same image in Corel Photopaint 12.0.0.536, it looks just like the image looks in her web browser. Can someone provide instructions for how she can configure Elements
Hi.

I no longer have Elements 2 installed, so I am working from memory, and never used Elements enough to become really knowledgeable, which is why I never responded to your first posting.

There are only 2 or maybe 3 configurations for Elements CM. None, Part (for Web use) and Full.

None is self explanatory.

Partial or Web, uses sRGB as the Working space.

Full seemed to use whatever was tagged onto the image as the Working Space. But I suspect it defaulted to Adobe RGB.

There did not seem to be any way for the user to select a Working Space or to change the Image’s Tagged Profile. Warnings were not issued if an untagged Image was opened, Elements just seemed to assume it would be sRGB, and that is actually not a bad assumption.

I am sorry it is not as full an explanation as you need, but I cannot look up its help files to refresh my Senior Memory.

Roy G
M
Mardon
Jul 27, 2006
"" wrote:

Yes.
M
Mardon
Jul 27, 2006
"Roy G" wrote:

I no longer have Elements 2 installed, so I am working from memory, and never used Elements enough to become really
knowledgeable, which is why I never responded to your first posting.

There are only 2 or maybe 3 configurations for Elements CM. None, Part (for Web use) and Full.

None is self explanatory.

Partial or Web, uses sRGB as the Working space.

Full seemed to use whatever was tagged onto the image as the Working Space. But I suspect it defaulted to Adobe RGB.

There did not seem to be any way for the user to select a Working Space or to change the Image’s Tagged Profile. Warnings were not issued if an untagged Image was opened, Elements just seemed to assume it would be sRGB, and that is actually not a bad assumption.

I am sorry it is not as full an explanation as you need, but I cannot look up its help files to refresh my Senior Memory.
Roy G

Thanks Roy. I’ll check out with her what you have said. It sounds like if she has the "Full" CM setting selected and that defaults to Adobe RGB as you suggest, then that might be her problem.
R
ronviers
Jul 27, 2006
Mardon wrote:
"" wrote:

Yes.

I wonder if she creates a new blank white jpg in Corel, saves it, then opens it in PSE would it have a cast? And visa versa.

Good luck,
Ron
MR
Mike Russell
Jul 30, 2006

Here’s all she needs to know:

Press ctrl-shift-K to bring up the color management dialog. Select "Limited Color Management – Optimized for Web Graphics"

This will set her default color space to sRGB, which will get rid of the problem with the colors being washed out.

The engineer in me can’t resist also giving a longer answer. Your sister’s Elements 2 is currently set for "Full color management", which assigns the Adobe RGB profile to images that are not tagged with a color profile. The result is that sRGB images are being interpreted as Adobe RGB, resulting in washed out colors. Changing the color management as described above causes Elements 2 to treat untagged images as if they had an sRGB profile embedded, and the colors will be normal.

"Full color management" causes Elements to create new images using the Adobe RGB profile, and to default to tagging new images when they are saved. The "Limited Color Management " option creates new images based on the sRGB profile, and defaults to saving new images with no profile. The Save dialog also has a check box to explicitly control whether the image’s profile is embedded or not. Elements 2 always preserves the original profile of any opened images that are tagged with a profile.

Although Elements 2 normally does not directly display an image’s color profile information, you may access this information by opening the file, and then using "File>Save As…". The name of the image’s profile, if any, will be displayed in the save dialog next to a checked box. If the box is not checked, the image had no tagged profile, and it will have been assigned either sRGB or Adobe RGB, depending on the color settings. —
Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com/forum/
MT
Marcel Th
Sep 17, 2006
Have been using Element 2 ( also PS 6,7 CS and CS2) along Photopaint 8 and 10 but I do most of my photo retouching ( professional) with Element 2 and the only thing I could find about her problem is (If she can) reinstalling Element 2, fixing Gamma ( Control Panel) and it
should be OK unless her monitor is way out in color.
Marcel

MR
Mike Russell
Sep 17, 2006
….

If her colors are looking washed out, have her set her color prefs (ctrl-shift-K) to Limited color management. This will cause elements to default to sRGB. My guess is she has it set to Full color management, which defaults to Adobe RGB, hence the faded colors. The remaining choice, No color management, will duplicate the behavior of her web browser, and is certainly a viable choice as well.

There is no warning dialog for a color mismatch. Elements will honor any embedded profile. If there is no embedded profile, it will silently assign it’s concept of the default color space.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com/forum/

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections