Adobe 1998 color space or sRGB IEC61966-2.1 color space?

RM
Posted By
Robert Montgomery
May 11, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m very confused about which color space to use: Adobe 1998 color space or sRGB IEC61966-2.1 color space.

Most of my files were made with the sRGB IEC61966-2.1 color space embedded (North America General Purpose color setting) but I find that the files print with less saturation than they appear on-screen.

But when I switch my Edit > Color Settings to North American Prepess 2, which activates Adobe RGB (1998), Photoshop asks me every time I open a file if I want to maintain the sRGB IEC61966-2.1 color space or to assign the Adobe RGB (1998) color space.

I’ve read several warnings not to assign profiles to files that have embedded profiles.

I find that color management is the most complicated aspect of Photoshop, despite having read about color management.

Robert

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

MR
Mike Russell
May 12, 2009
On Mon, 11 May 2009 21:50:07 GMT, Robert Montgomery wrote:

I’m very confused about which color space to use: Adobe 1998 color space or sRGB IEC61966-2.1 color space.

Both are fine. There is not a lot of difference between the two. SRGB is less prone to mistakes in the situation where you send your files to other people. For example, it’s a common error to treat an Adobe RGB file as if it were an sRGB file, resulting in a loss in color saturation.

Most of my files were made with the sRGB IEC61966-2.1 color space embedded (North America General Purpose color setting) but I find that the files print with less saturation than they appear on-screen.

This is probably an issue with your monitor or printer color setup, not with the profile of the originating image.

But when I switch my Edit > Color Settings to North American Prepess 2, which activates Adobe RGB (1998), Photoshop asks me every time I open a file if I want to maintain the sRGB IEC61966-2.1 color space or to assign the Adobe RGB (1998) color space.

You do have the option, under Photoshop’s advanced color settings, to disable this message, and either keep the colors in sRGB, or convert them to Adobe RGB. If you choose the second case, I’d advise leaving the warning message as-is.

I’ve read several warnings not to assign profiles to files that have embedded profiles.

In general, this is bad practice unless you have some reason to suspect that the image is being interpreted in the wrong color space.

I find that color management is the most complicated aspect of Photoshop, despite having read about color management.

You got that right! It’s a mess, and there seems to be no desire on the part of experts to make it less of one.

Mike Russell – http://www.curvemeister.com
JJ
Jay Jhabrix
May 12, 2009
"Mike Russell" wrote:

You got that right! It’s a mess, and there seems to be no desire on the part of experts to make it less of one.

For some reason, i find that *extremely* reassuring ;->

JJ
N
nomail
May 13, 2009
Robert Montgomery wrote:

No, Photoshop asks you if you want to *CONVERT* to the AdobeRGB color space, not to *ASSIGN* it. You can do that and there is little harm if you do, but it serves no purpose. It’s like pouring one gallon of milk into a two gallon container: the amount of milk stays the same, you only get a container with more empty space.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.com

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections