MC
Posted By
Mark_Corrigan
Oct 22, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve searched the database and came up empty. How can I stop PS for going on the internet and looking for updates every time I start it? In PS 7 it was an easy check box in the preferences. I can’t find it in CS2 9.0.2.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BL
Bob Levine
Oct 22, 2006
Help>Updates>Preferences

Bob
OU
Olaf_Ulrich
Oct 23, 2006
I am using Photoshop 9.0.2 on Windows XP SP2. The preference setting function of the Update function is defective. It won’t keep the settings I selected; instead, it insists in autmatically searching for updates (which I can definitely NOT allow).

The work-around I found goes like this: Spot the updater’s preferences file which on Windows is named AdobeUpdaterPrefs.dat and is located at C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Adobe\Updater. The file contains XML data. Load the file into Wordpad or XML Notepad and change all entries that are ‘1’ to ‘0’. Save the file. Then set the file’s attributes to Read Only, or Photoshop will revert the settings to the previous state at the next opportunity. Repeat this for every user account on the machine who uses Bridge or Photoshop.

— Olaf
MC
Mark_Corrigan
Oct 24, 2006
Thanks guys! I did what Bob suggested and I’ll give Olafs’ reply a try. ,, Mark
MC
Mark_Corrigan
Oct 26, 2006
Olaf, Are you saying to change the MapPrefEntry & MapPrefKey? Looks like the others are already changed to "0".

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?> <AdobeUpdater>
<LastDateCheck>2006-10-22</LastDateCheck>
<AutoCheck>0</AutoCheck>
<DownloadDir>C:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents\Updater</DownloadDir> <ShowNewProducts>0</ShowNewProducts>
<AutoCheckType>0</AutoCheckType>
<IsFirstRun>0</IsFirstRun>
<InTrayIcon>0</InTrayIcon>
<IsTransactionOpen>0</IsTransactionOpen>
<InBackground>0</InBackground>
<ApplicationsEnabled>
<MapPrefEntry MapPrefKey="bridge1">1</MapPrefEntry> <MapPrefEntry MapPrefKey="helpcenter1">1</MapPrefEntry> <MapPrefEntry MapPrefKey="photoshop9-en_US-RET">1</MapPrefEntry> <MapPrefEntry MapPrefKey="stockphotos1">1</MapPrefEntry> </ApplicationsEnabled>
</AdobeUpdater>

,,Mark

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections