E
Posted By
ewk
Oct 3, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have created a bxw line art logo in Photoshop 7. I saved it as an eps file for the client at 100%, 300 dpi (this is for print purposes). It prints out clear and sharp. Then I reduced the PS file so that the image was 50% (but still 300dpi) and saved that also as an eps file. When I print that out it has fuzzy edges. I tried to save it and reduce it in many different formats and each time it prints out a little fuzzy when reduced. What am doing wrong? How can I create the same file in a smaller size for the client? Thanks!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
Bernie
Oct 3, 2006
Then I reduced the PS file so that the image was 50% (but still 300dpi)

You realize that means you have less pixels in the image (and thus, less detail)
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Oct 3, 2006
Whenever possible. art like this should be created in vector form in Illustrator or Freehand. Raster images do not take well to resizing.
E
ewk
Oct 3, 2006
Ah…I see. Is there any way I can import this into Freehand or Illustrator and make it into a vector file? I have imported it into Quark and reduced the size and it printed well…is this the only alternative at this point?
B
Buko
Oct 3, 2006
recreate it in illustrator. use the file as a guide.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Oct 4, 2006
Or, depending on how complicated it is, both Illustrator and Freehand have autotrace features.
ML
Mark_Larsen
Oct 4, 2006
Follow the above advice about using vector programs for such work. The fuzziness that you talk of is most likely a case of the down sampling method used. Depending on how you created this logo. Halving the image size will effectively anti-alias the edges.
JC
Jay_Chevako
Oct 4, 2006
Save as a tiff using lzw compression.
Jay
B
Buko
Oct 4, 2006
Save as a tiff using lzw compression.

Or Zip.

doing it in Illustrator is the correct way.
JC
Jay_Chevako
Oct 4, 2006
Agreed about Illy, and I use zip for my personal files, but LZW is much more likely to be compatible with other people’s programs. Jay
B
Buko
Oct 4, 2006
true

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections