CJ
Posted By
Chuck Jurgens
Aug 27, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have created a 3 1/2" x 2" business card layout in 600 dpi resolution. I converted it to a flat file but the file size is still 14M !!

In the past I have been able to reduce this SAME layout down to 3.5M (in ..psd) but I can’t remember how to do it.

Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

RM
RC Moonpie
Aug 27, 2007
On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 16:20:51 -0400, "Chuck Jurgens" wrote:

I have created a 3 1/2" x 2" business card layout in 600 dpi resolution. I converted it to a flat file but the file size is still 14M !!
In the past I have been able to reduce this SAME layout down to 3.5M (in .psd) but I can’t remember how to do it.

Any suggestions?

you might try to bicubic downsample it to 300 dpi. Without seeing your design, thats your call, but often, imagesetters will sort of do the same thing, depending upon how sophisticated they are… some cant use 600 so its overkill, 300 is fine.

that’ll go a long way to getting you down to size
T
Tacit
Aug 27, 2007
In article <zlGAi.36497$>,
"Chuck Jurgens" wrote:

Unless your image contains alpha channels, that’s not possible. A 3.5×2" image at 600 pixels per inch is 7.2 MB RGB, or 9.6 MB CMYK.

In any event, 600 pixels per inch is overkill for a business card; even for offset printing, it need not be more than 300 pixels per inch.

Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
J
jjs
Aug 28, 2007
Chuck Jurgens wrote:
In the past I have been able to reduce this SAME layout down to 3.5M (in .psd) but I can’t remember how to do it.

It’s over the top big. Regardless, the printing device will lower the resolution/bits to its native settings. Oh, and to CMYK, too.
MJ
Michael J Davis
Aug 28, 2007
tacit opined
In article <zlGAi.36497$>,
"Chuck Jurgens" wrote:

Unless your image contains alpha channels, that’s not possible. A 3.5×2" image at 600 pixels per inch is 7.2 MB RGB, or 9.6 MB CMYK.
In any event, 600 pixels per inch is overkill for a business card; even for offset printing, it need not be more than 300 pixels per inch.

Although not directly relevant to your problem (designed for printing), for anyone else reading this, I am amazed at how good PSE ‘Save for web’ algorithm is.

My processed files are often 14Mb – I then reduce them to 1200 pixels (around 2.5 x linear reduction (ie. 1/6 the file size) and save for web at the 10% level. this ends up with a file between 60 and 150kb of remarkable quality.

Ideal for sending friends and relatives. Look at ‘original size’ photos on my Flickr pages. (It’s not ‘original’ of course!!)

Mike

[The reply-to address is valid for 30 days from this posting] —
Michael J Davis

Pictures at http://www.flickr.com/photos/watchman/
<><
For this is what the Lord has said to me,
"Go and post a Watchman and let
him report what he sees." Isa 21:6
<><

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections