KM
Posted By
Kyle_M_Hughes
Oct 18, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
First, let me start off by saying that I live for Photoshop. Maybe that will add to the seriousness of the problem.

Now, I’ve been using Photoshop for about 2 years, and I have never had a problem. Until now. I started up Photoshop the other day, and started to design a banner for my blog. So, I go to Fill>Color, so I can fill the background with a nice, deep gray. To my surprise, everywhere on the color selection screen where there was gray, there is now BROWN! I played around with different things for about an hour, to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions? Because unlike Microsoft, I hate brown.

So, whenever I got to near the black on the color selection screen, there is brown. Here is a link to a screenshot.

<http://www.kinkymedia.net/images/brownphotoshop.png>

I am using Photoshop CS 2.
I have re-installed Photoshop, and done everything I can think of just to reset the colors, all to no avail.

Is there anyone that can help me?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

B
Bernie
Oct 18, 2006
I see no problems with that screen shot. the colour values you selected are for a shade of brown.

To get grey, you need equal values of R, G and B
KM
Kyle_M_Hughes
Oct 18, 2006
I know that. But the thing is, where the brown is in the lower left-hand corner, there is normally gray. That is where my problem is.

Oh, and I found out something odd. If I choose one of the dark browns in the left-hand corner, it appears brown in PS. But when I save the file as, say, a .PNG, the dark brown has turned to dark gray. So that means that Photoshop is just showing a different color than it should. It’s annoying, nonetheless.
L
LenHewitt
Oct 19, 2006
Create a new monitor profile – the one you are using is bad.

See the FAQ:
http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.ef44dc8/1
C
chrisjbirchall
Oct 19, 2006
Reset the Foreground/Background colours to the default (black & White). Then when you open the colour picker things should be back to normal.
KM
Kyle_M_Hughes
Oct 19, 2006
I sort of stumbled my way through creating a monitor profile, but even after I did so, nothing has changed much. But why would my monitor profile be the problem. I only have the color problem in PS. Everywhere else I see dark gray, it is fine. Evem when I export dark brown, it is dark gray.
B
Bernie
Oct 19, 2006
But why would my monitor profile be the problem. I only have the color problem in PS.

Because PS is probably the only application you have that is colour managed.
KM
Kyle_M_Hughes
Oct 19, 2006
Is there a "Dummies Guide to Monitor Profiles" lying around here somewhere? I really don’t feel like screwing things up. But so far, thanks for your help. Now it seems as if their is a solution within reach.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections