T
Posted By
tybg
Jun 5, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
am using PE3 with windows XP and an Epson printer. I used adobe gamma to calibrate my monitor but i’m still getting significant variability between what i see on the monitor and what is printing. any suggestions. thanks.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BB
brent bertram
Jun 5, 2005
Printing from the Standard Editor:

1) Set Color Preferences to "Full Color Management"

2) Click File > Print
Select the "Show more options" checkbox .

3) Go to Page Setup , select your printer, go to Printer Properties and set up the paper type , resolution, mode , etc .

4) Click OK to everything , once it’s correct and you’ll be back in the Print dialogue. Select "Printer Color Management" in the Print Space dropdown box.

5) Print

This is the 2d best method of printing, and it should give you a reasonably accurate print. The best method is to use a media profile, specific to your printer/ink/paper combination. There’s a good tutorial at <http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7_print/ps7_print_1.htm> which talks about the various settings for print space, and what you need in the driver to use a particular print space. Let’s see if you get a decent print with "Printer Color Management", first.

🙂

Brent
DS
Don_Stouder
Jun 7, 2005
Brent,

Pardon me for butting in here, but I have a couple of questions. In your steps above, it seems that you were very specific on selecting the "Printer Color Management" box last. Was there a reason for that, or was that just how you chose to do it? What I mean is, why couldn’t you do that first, then proceed on to the printer driver settings for paper etc?

I currently have an Epson 1280 and still seem to struggle getting the print to closely match the screen like the person you were helping. I have read a lot about color management (not your link yet), have run Adobe Gamma, and am sensitive to double correcting, and yet I tend to always have reds too red relative to the screen, especially in skin tones.

I have posted a related color printing question on the forum a few days ago, but no one has replied. I wonder if you could take a look at it? Its URL is shown below.

Don Stouder, "Epson Drver Dialog Different in Organizer and Std. Editor Modes" #, 4 Jun 2005 3:46 pm </cgi-bin/webx?50>

TIA

Don S.
BB
brent bertram
Jun 7, 2005
Don,
I have no particular reason for selecting the PCM box last, although I can’t select it first, since my default printer is a laser, and I first have to select my photo printer, either an Epson 1200 or an Epson 890 .
Confused yet ? <G>

I have never printed from the organizer, but I just checked it out, and didn’t find Printer Color Management as an option in the output space dropdown box. However, when I looked at the Printer Properties, all my papers were there. I wonder if it’s possible that you set up the Organizer printer using the Microsoft integrated driver, and later installed the Epson driver ( which is what you’re using when you print from the editor ) . In the Organizer, my 890 has all my usual papers, just like in the editor print area .

Hope this clarifies the issue a little.

🙂

Brent
DS
Don_Stouder
Jun 8, 2005
Brent,

Thanks for the reply to both questions. I believe I did install PSE 3 first and then later update the driver for my 1280. But what I don’t understand is why PSE 3 editor mode could deal with that, but not the organizer mode.

I suppose I could re-install PSE 3, but I would like to avoid that. I’m about ready to buy an R1800 printer, so I might just wait until I install that one and see what happens.

Thanks again.

Don S.
BB
brent bertram
Jun 8, 2005
Don,
I not only envy you for the R1800 , I also envy you for the 1280 . I’d give all my inkjets for the 1280 , much less the budget for the R1800.

🙂

Brent

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections