Hide scratch disk icon on OS X desktop, etc.

JM
Posted By
John MacLean
Sep 19, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is it possible to do this, and/or prevent files from being written to it by accidental drag n drop?

Thanks,
John

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
Buko
Sep 20, 2006
Finder Preferences > general > uncheck hard disks
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 20, 2006
… but that does hide ALL of your HDs … .
JM
John MacLean
Sep 20, 2006
yeah, I just want the scratch drive hidden.
P
Phosphor
Sep 20, 2006
You might be able to go in and add a "." to the beginning of the Hard Drive’s name. But hmm…how to do that? I used to know, but I forget.
B
Buko
Sep 20, 2006
Why do you need to see the hard drives on the desktop.

Can’t you see them in the windows?

Isn’t that enough?
JM
John MacLean
Sep 20, 2006
yes I agree, but I have to share the computers with coworkers that would probably interfere with their status quo!
B
Buko
Sep 20, 2006
Don’t they have their own login?
CN
Cybernetic Nomad
Sep 20, 2006
And if yes, then make sure they can’t access that disks
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 20, 2006
If one of your co-workers should happen to put files on the Scratch HD, you can always pull them off again before you need to use the computer.
P
Phosphor
Sep 20, 2006
You could even create a simple AppleScript to run at the click of an icon to clear the scratch disk for you.
NP
Navarro_Parker
Sep 20, 2006
Oh no! Don’t start adding periods to the start of HD names! You’re asking for trouble on *nix based systems.
J
JWeber
Sep 24, 2006
If you use Pathfinder you can go to the Get Info window for the drive and check "invisible" under Attributes. Maybe this would do the trick?
CS
Carl_Stawicki
Sep 24, 2006
I’d go the AppleScript route. Even if you could hide the icon from the Desktop, the drive would still be available via the save dialogs.

You could create a folder action script that triggers whenever something is saves to the drive. It can either delete the item right away, or display a warning dialog to the user.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections