Posted By
John
Aug 27, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,
Im kinda new to photoshop and have the above problem being reported………."current scratch disk preference almost full".What exactly is the function of the scratch disk, and what is it.Is it similar to a temporary cache or clipboard.Where can I find a good discription and solution to this problem.I read a previous post here about the scratch disk needing to be set up on a seperate drive or partition………..is thiis so.? TIA John

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

J
Jim
Aug 27, 2004
"John" wrote in message
Hi,
Im kinda new to photoshop and have the above problem being reported………."current scratch disk preference almost full".What
exactly
is the function of the scratch disk, and what is it.Is it similar to a temporary cache or clipboard.Where can I find a good discription and solution to this problem.I read a previous post here about the scratch
disk
needing to be set up on a seperate drive or partition………..is thiis so.? TIA John
The principal use of the scratch area is a place to store the temporary files that PS must create. PS is supposed to empty the scratch files on exit. If the disk is close to full, then PSA cannot create all of them hence the message.

PS will run better if the scratch disk is not the boot disk. A partition on a separate physical disk will help in management of the files. A partition on the boot disk won’t help speed.
Jim
RG
Randy Gentry
Aug 27, 2004
Many times if you do not have a seperate partition for you scratch disk it installs in your boot (normally "C") disk. The space if often fragmented or close to being full. I have found that using an additional hard drive with just 1 partition and used as the scratch disk works very well, it’s quick, rarely need to be defragmented as most of the tempory files are deleted when project is closed. On my secondary computer I dd not have the option to add another IDE drive so I installed a raid card and went that way, others use USB drives in various sizes to accomplish what they need or install SATA motherboard that has IDE also. One thing to remember is to buy the most drive space that you can afford because you will most likely will be able to use it. Some high resolution .tiff multi-layer and masked files can use up multi megabytes of space very, very , quickly.
"John" wrote in message
Hi,
Im kinda new to photoshop and have the above problem being reported………."current scratch disk preference almost full".What
exactly
is the function of the scratch disk, and what is it.Is it similar to a temporary cache or clipboard.Where can I find a good discription and solution to this problem.I read a previous post here about the scratch
disk
needing to be set up on a seperate drive or partition………..is thiis so.? TIA John

N
noone
Aug 27, 2004
In article <cgo4pr$mmd$ says…
Hi,
Im kinda new to photoshop and have the above problem being reported………."current scratch disk preference almost full".What exactly is the function of the scratch disk, and what is it.Is it similar to a temporary cache or clipboard.Where can I find a good discription and solution to this problem.I read a previous post here about the scratch disk needing to be set up on a seperate drive or partition………..is thiis so.? TIA John

John,

You have gotten two good explanations of the Scratch Disk. If you cannot follow the recommendations for additional physical drives (the cure for Scratch Disk woes, especially if they are FAST!), then you might want to do two things, and in this order. Check where PS creates your Scratch Disk. First look in Preferences and see where they are specified. If it’s your C:\, then you have to look for them. Depending on OS, they are probably in your Documents\Settings… folder. To mind the folder, start PS, but do not open anything. Go to Search and look in C:\ for PS*.tmp (I think that is still the naming convention, but if not, someone will correct me – I’m too lazy to do this to check it out right now – dog days heat). You should find one, or more. It’s the more that you are looking for. Check the Date/Time for the files, and Delete all that are not immediately current. Don’t worry about loosing anything, as you could never recover anything from these files. (Note: if PS crashes, or is not shut down properly, the TMP file(s) may still be occupying space on your Scratch Disk.) Once done, Delete those files from your Recycle Bin, then stop PS, and Explorer, if it’s still open from your Search. Once all is shut down, Defrag your C:\. Most OS’s now have a Defrag utility, or you can use one such as Norton Utilites.

At this point you will be about as good as it gets, except that you may still have far too much data on your C:\. Ideally, you should Backup files that you do not use, Remove programs that may have been loaded by seller that you’ll never use, move image, sound, AV files to a CD/DVD.

Hunt

PS this assumes that you are on a Win machine. If you’re on MAC, don’t do anyting, until a MAC person gives you instructions, as I don’t want to mess you up.
J
John
Aug 28, 2004
Thanks for the help folks…….its appreciated.:-)
"John" wrote in message
Hi,

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections