RG
Posted By
Raymond_Garcia
May 3, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Getting the above message when I first open Elements. Scratch disk preference is set to C:. Help! Elements 2.0 on an XP machine with 256RAM. Never got it before today.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

MM
Mac_McDougald
May 3, 2004
Perhaps your selected scratch disk is almost full?

Mac
RG
Raymond_Garcia
May 3, 2004
Gee….you think? How would you suggest I empty it?….or are all the forum’s users as self righteous as you?
MM
Mac_McDougald
May 3, 2004
Well, since you didn’t mention anything about HD space,figured you just needed to know WHAT the message meant.

Delete files you don’t need.
Burn files you want to archive that you don’t access much. Uninstall applications that you don’t need.
Search for all files ending in .tmp, delete.
Delete all temp internet files. Set brower cache to 20MB if on broadband. Use Disk Cleanup from System Tools.

Sure cure: add a harddrive.

M
RG
Raymond_Garcia
May 3, 2004
Sorry Mac…..just frustrated I can’t find anything on this.

64gb of free HD space. Nothing else open. I get the error even before I open an image. Defragged my HD…..ran disk cleanup.

Thanks……..
MM
Mac_McDougald
May 3, 2004
Then try deleting prefs. Seems to work for about 90% of errors when there doesn’t seem to be a real reason.

hold down the Shift + Ctrl + Alt keys immediately after launching Elements. You’ll be presented with a dialog box asking if you want to delete the Adobe Photoshop Elements Settings File. Click Yes.

Mac
RG
Raymond_Garcia
May 3, 2004
That was the first thing I did and I’ve done it twice already…….I’m thinking re-install?
R
RobertHJones
May 3, 2004
Raymond,

Before you try a reinstall (which probably won’t help), try purging the cache. The cache stores thumbnails and other information between sessions for every folder you’ve browsed that contained an image. Purging the cache will release this information.

Open the elements browser and click the "more" button, purge cache will be at the bottom of the menu.

Next time you use the browser, the thumbnails will have to reload so the first time use will be slow but ok after that. You can fill up the cache easily if you have a lot of images on the disk. If you have all your images in one directory, split them up into multiple directories with a smaller "working directory" for the images you are currently working on. If you repeatedly run into this problem, you probably need to allocate a second scratch disk (preferably on another hard drive).

Bob
AB
Ari_Binus
May 3, 2004
Hi, I don’t know if I’m using this forum correctly- this is my first time here (or on any web forum, for that matter) -but I have a similar question about a "scratch disks full" problem -I’m getting that message while using my Photoshop 5.5 on my Mac G4 desktop for the purpose of creating illustrations (not manipulating photographs or anything) -Photoshop is telling me I can’t do certain things because the scratch disks are full -this affects my being able to use certain Photoshop tools, and sometimes, it even prevents me from opening a file (I realize that the size of my files are getting pretty heavy because I’m using color). Is there anyway I can free up the scratch disks?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections