Posted By
VERNON_MC_NULTY
Feb 12, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Comp hp750c, Win XP home, PDBE 1.0, hp5470c
I have been using this combination for several years. No problems with exporting or importing. I have down loaded the latest updates from HP. I just installed Photo elements 2.0. When I go to import, connect to,select source,hp5470 is listed,when I click scan I get the following "could not complete the import command because of a problem with the aquisition module interface" In the scanner software I have provisions to update the destinations for the scanner. It it looks but cannot find photo elements to add to the scanners "scan to list. I am still working on support from HP and Adobe.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

NS
Nancy_S
Feb 13, 2004
Vernon,

Do you have a File>Import>WIA?

or ScanPro?
VM
VERNON_MC_NULTY
Feb 13, 2004
Nancy S
Thanks. Well I am not sure what I have! My Hardware Device Manager simply says hp 5470c; My Installed programs says hp precision scan Pro 3.1; My desk top Icon says hp precision scan Pro 3.1; My add/remove programs window says hp precision scan pro 3.1. Photoshop 2.0 lists 2 choices for importing (1) hp precision scan pro 3.1 and (2)W1A hp scanjet 5470c. My installation disk for the scanner says scanjet 5470 on the label, but when I click intall it shows Precision scan pro 3.1 on the install window. I also just discovered in the photo deluxe import window the same 2 choices as photoshop elements an no neither one will work for importing a scan. The only good news is I can scan images direct from the scanner to Photo Deluxe BE with no problems. Well what more can I say. Thanks again Nancy
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Feb 13, 2004
Vernon,
As a workaround, you can just scan to a file using the HP PrecisionScan software, which is really quite good. Then open the file in PSE. I have a 5470c and that’s the way I have always done it. A lot of people seem to have trouble with the Twain drivers, which is most likely where your problem is.
Bert
VM
VERNON_MC_NULTY
Feb 13, 2004
Thank you Bert for the comments. That is what I have been doing for a long time now so that’s what I will continue to do. I did see a comment by someone recommending removing Photo Deluxe because photo elements is so much better. I am looking forward to using elements as I do the "Learning Curve". The computers are a lot like my amateur radio gear. It can do about 400 operations but I only use about 20 on a daily basis. The rest I forget are there and I never use them. Thanks again Bert.
VM
VERNON_MC_NULTY
Feb 13, 2004
To all concerned: I re-installed HP update for the 3rd time and as of now everything is working I cannot believe it was the problem. Hope it stays that way
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Feb 14, 2004
Vernon,
Glad you solved your problem. Sorry I couldn’t be more help. Bert
VM
VERNON_MC_NULTY
Feb 19, 2004
Bert;
Final chapter to the hp 5470c scanner problems. Although I can import scans directly to Photoshop Elements 2.0 with no difficulties I still cannot send scans from the 5470c to Elements. I decided to ask hp support WHY? This is the response I got from them. "The HP Pecision Pro scanning software for your HP Scanjet 5470c scanner does not support Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 software. Since Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 is not supported, it will not appear in the Programs destination list of HP Precision Pro and you will not be able to scan directly to the application. The only available option is to acquire the scanned image or document from Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0.

My reply to them was as follows. "Well some where along the way when I was in the HP site checking compatibility of HP products the 5470c listed Photoshop Elements 2.0 as being supported. I suspect from what you say it is only PARTIALY supported in that I can import from the scanner OK. Further when using the scanner software I see Adobe Photoshop 2.0 listed in a drop down box that permits "launching" the program".

I doubt if they will respond further. I did advise Adobe of this situation.
PD
Pete_D
Feb 19, 2004
Vernon,

I had similar problems with my HP5300. I had loaded PSE1 before the scanning software so after loading PSE1 that program shows on the "send to" list on the scanning software.

But then later I bought and loaded PSE2. PSE2 does not show on the "send to" list in the scanner software so to scan to PSE2 I have to use the "import" and select the HP5300.

Now the solution; I printed instructions from the HP site last year on how to solve this so they do know about the problem. The solution is to uninstall the scanner software and then reinstall so that during installation it recognizes PSE2. They cautioned that the directions needed followed exactly.

So watch here and if I can find those instructions I will post them for you or a link to the HP site that has the instructions if I find that.

I never did do it since I was concerned about making things worse and as time went by it became less important than everything else I was doing 🙂

Pete
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Feb 20, 2004
Although I can import scans directly to Photoshop Elements 2.0 with no difficulties I still cannot send scans from the 5470c to Elements.

Vernon,
Sorry I did not reply sooner…we just redid our office completely, so all my computer gear was completely torn down for the last five days. Just got it back up tonight.
I am a little confused by your statement above. When you say "import scans directly" what do you mean? Apparently you do NOT mean directly from the scanner.
I am astounded that HP would support PSE 1.0 and not support PSE 2.0. I doubt the accuracy of that statement from Tech Support. Pete’s suggestion makes a lot more sense to me. I think I have seen past threads describing this problem and the uninstall/reinstall solution. I suggest you give that a try if you have not already done so.
Bert
BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 20, 2004
Pete and Bert are both making good sense. At installation, many applications are pre-programmed to scan (no pun intended) the hard drive and identify ‘helper’ applications. In your case the scanner found PSE 1. Without a reinstall and another chance to go "hunting", the software has no way of knowing PSE 2 exists.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Feb 20, 2004
For a "scan to" function, you are right.

However, for a TWAIN source, the app may need to be reloaded so that it sees the existing scanner twain interface. Some apps check in the likely TWAIN source folders every time they load for all existing scanner interfaces, some don’t; not sure about Elements/Photoshop.

Mac

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections