EW
Posted By
Ernie_Wesolowski
Jan 30, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have the "try" version of PSE2 under Mac OS 10.3.2. The application launches but the "try" button is greyed out. Only the "Information" and "Quit" buttons are active. At the bottom of the screen, it says "Trial Expired" (before I’ve even started!!)

A readme file suggests this, but nothing happens differently.

"Initialization and Preferences Files: If you have problems launching the program, rebuild your Photoshop Elements preferences file. To reset your preferences, double click the application icon, then immediately hold down Shift-Command-Option, then click "Yes" to rebuild your preferences. "

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

–Ernie

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 30, 2004
Hmmm. There may be a problem with the date/time setting on your computer? There aren’t a lot of reports of problems with the demo version, but the people I remember reporting it also had some kind of a bad date setting, and Elements thought the 30 days had already gone by. Unfortunately I can’t think of any workarounds for that but maybe somebody else can come up with an idea. In the meantime, check to make sure the computer is saying it’s Friday, January 30!

And deleting that preference folder wouldn’t help if Elements thinks the demo period has expired.
EW
Ernie_Wesolowski
Jan 30, 2004
Thanks, Beth, for the suggestion; my date and time is definitely correct.

It’s not a total loss, because I can still go through the html tutorial, and already I can see that this is an application that I would like to own. I am considering a massive (and scary)job of converting 70 years of photos to digital, so my need is very simple insofar as having a good application to spruce them up re colors and fading.

–Ernie
MM
Michael Moody
Jan 30, 2004
Just a wild try – re-set your date to January 1, 2004, Decmber 1, 2003, etc, re-booting each time to see if you can convince the program the 30 days hasn’t expired.

wrote in message
Thanks, Beth, for the suggestion; my date and time is definitely correct.
It’s not a total loss, because I can still go through the html tutorial,
and already I can see that this is an application that I would like to own. I am considering a massive (and scary)job of converting 70 years of photos to digital, so my need is very simple insofar as having a good application to spruce them up re colors and fading.
–Ernie
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 30, 2004
You’ll love using Elements, and there are quite a few of us on the forum who are doing projects like the one you’re getting ready to tackle. Please feel free to come back often when you have questions. We welcome everybody and are really soft on newbies. 🙂
NS
Nancy_S
Jan 30, 2004
Ernie,

If you purchase the program you need to uninstall all bits and pieces of the trial version, even though you didn’t use it. You’ll have a good program for your project with PSE.

You may want to consider buying a cataloging program at the same time, such as Photoshop Album or similar. I hear it is hard to "catch up" after you’ve already put a lot of images on your HD, easier to have both from the get go. In fact, I think there is a special price for PSE and PSA bundled.
EW
Ernie_Wesolowski
Jan 30, 2004
Thanks, Nancy, for the Photoshop Album suggestion (I definitely was in a quandry as to how I was going to organize my project).

Checking Adobe’s website, it appears they do have a bundled package, but for Windows only (I have a Mac). They also have a free Photoshop Album starter’s edition, but again it’s Windows only. It’s also Windows only for a separate standalone Photoshop Album application.

Maybe this will give me an excuse to procrastinate on my project. I don’t even have a digital camera yet; I’ve spent the last month reading reviews and doing exhaustive research. It’s a steep learning curve.

–Ernie
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jan 30, 2004
Ernie, when you do get to the point of buying a digital camera, try to see it in person before you buy (although ultimately you may want to buy mail order/online). See if it feels right in your hands and all the controls are logical and don’t accidentally get bumped at the most inopportune times. Some of the cameras that look great in the ads and reviews just don’t ‘fit’ a particular individual.

Chuck
NS
Nancy_S
Jan 30, 2004
Ernie,

I didn’t know about the "Win only" stipulation….

There is info on recent threads about what MAC people use for cataloging their photos.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jan 30, 2004
Ernie,

Photoshop Album is a windows only package … I use iPhoto as do quite a few of the Mac users. There have been several threads on this … try

<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?128@@.2ccfada3>

Hope this is of some help
Wendy
EW
Ernie_Wesolowski
Jan 31, 2004
Thanks, everyone, for all the suggestions.

Chuck, you’re quite right about handling the cameras first. I do intend to buy locally, and have pretty well settled on the Canon A80.

Wendy, I’ve checked the thread above, and I’ve downloaded the QPict application mentioned. I think I’ll also play around with iPhoto and see if it might meet my needs. I’ve not used it for anything serious, and it may be insufficient.

–Ernie
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jan 31, 2004
Ernie, my son has the A80 – excellent choice! You’ll really like the swivel screen among its other nice features.

chuck

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections