How to get rid of the anoying dialogue!?

HC
Posted By
Henrik_Carlsson
Aug 21, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi!
When im working in photoshop, and choose "save for web" and exporting webgraphics, i always get a anoying dialogpopup that says "Some names of the files being saved containg non-Latin characters……"

How do i get rid of this dialogue? Its very anoying, expecially when exporting hundreds of images.

Its possible to turn this message of in Imageready, but not in photoshop!

(I upgraded to CS2 from CS1 and thought this "bug" was gone. Buts it´s still there in CS2!)

How to solve this? Very thankful for help!

/Henrik

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

DK
Doug_Katz
Aug 21, 2006
Hmm. I get this dialog erratically. Never understand why sometimes and not others. I never use forbidden characters.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Aug 21, 2006
First of all, you do not want to call anything like this a ‘bug.’

A bug is a flaw. This message, while it might be annoying to you, is meant to signal a performance. I have not seen this so I suspect it can be turned on or off in preferences.
R
Ram
Aug 21, 2006
Henrik,

That can happen if you have any illegal character in the name of anything in your path (name of file, folder, volume, drive).

Stick to numbers, underscores and the letters of the English alphabet. Don’t use any diacriticals, apostrophes, slashes, ampersands, asterisks, etc., in the name of anything.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Aug 21, 2006
…. or, by listening to Ramón.
HC
Henrik_Carlsson
Aug 22, 2006
Ken Nielsen

Its not a bug, but its a bug that adobe forgot to put a "never show this message again", as they have done in imageready. Well well. I think its my harddrive thas have swedish characters, and thats why the message appears, renaming it and hopes it works better…

thanks for answers!
BB
by_Buko
Aug 22, 2006
servers don’t seem to like non standard characters so Adobe is saving you from not being able to upload web graphics. this is not a bug its a feature.
DK
Doug_Katz
Aug 22, 2006
So I assume none of you has seen this message when the characters you’ve entered to name the jpg are all legal?
R
Ram
Aug 22, 2006
Doug,

No.

Look really, really close for apostrophes and ampersands, double spaces, etc., anywhere on the path.
R
Ram
Aug 22, 2006
Or an old folder left over from Mac OS 9.x with the ƒ for Folder.
BB
by_Buko
Aug 22, 2006
I’ve not seen it. but I have used fussy servers that would not accept an upload because of an illegal character. Files that were made with SFW.
DK
Doug_Katz
Aug 22, 2006
OK, thanks, I’ll look harder in the future.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Aug 22, 2006
Having spent my initial years working on CPM and MSDOS, the lingering illegal characters still come to mind whenever I’m naming files. Wouldn’t want to offend the nasty MSDOS and throw the CPU into a tail spin.

: )
HC
Henrik_Carlsson
Aug 22, 2006
Okay. This was the problem:

My harddrive had a swedish specialcharacter. When i removed those, it worked.

But its still confusing:

1. Imageready warns about this as well, but there i have the option to get rid of the alertmessage forever.

2. the warningsmessage says that i have bad characters in the filename im trying to save to my desktop, eaven if the name of the saved image is 1.jpg. (it doesent tell you that its the PATH that contains non-latin characters.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Aug 22, 2006
Good detective work Henrik.
R
Ram
Aug 23, 2006
Henrik,

The irony is that Save for Web is powered by the ImageReady engine.

Within Photoshop the warning serves every user, including those that only rarely prepare images for the web. That would be someone like me, who only once ever launched Image Ready and then came to post my very first message in this forum asking "What is this Image Ready thing and can safely delete it?"

The problem would arise if you linked that image on a server, and Photoshop has no way of knowing whether your Swedish-name drive is or will one day be also acting as a server. Therefore, the warning is on point.

I believe that the error message does not mention the name of the file at all, just the existence of non-Latin characters in the abstract. [EDIT: I can’t be sure because I have not seen the error in years.]

That’s why I explained it to you in post #3.
P
Phosphor
Aug 23, 2006
I don’t use it much anymore, but I still harbor a fondness for using the "ƒ" folder designation.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections