How to make graphics like the Acrobat 8 splashscreen or CS2 Bridge icon?

A
Posted By
aikido
Apr 4, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi!

I was just playing with the Sinedots II-plugin found here:

<http://www.philipp-spoeth.de/photoshop/sinedots2.php>

and realized it created kind of similar results as in my topic but still not quite the same. I’d like to try this technique some more but haven’t got a clue where to begin, so if anyone could drop a suitable keyword for me to Google (or even better if there’s some kind of tutorial out there) i’d be more than happy 🙂

Oh yeah, and Happy Easter to those celebrating it!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

P
Phosphor
Apr 4, 2007
The image on the Acrobat 8 box was created from a photo captured as a result of experiments with "tossed camera" exposures.

Read on for more:
<http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2007/03/acrobat_makes_p.html>
D
deebs
Apr 4, 2007
Have a look at "Moving lines" or "Some more" on the link here:

< http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alan.plc/web-content/I/1/Sample s/NG26/NG26.html>

Created in a vector based application that now no longer exists
P
Phosphor
Apr 4, 2007
"Created in a vector based application that now no longer exists "

Here ya go, Deebs. Some old school GIF animation style, in applications that do still exist…Illustrator 8 and ImageReady 7 (full file size is about 1.25 MB):

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1bHHlCAshCKkKPJ0ax AXLc6mRl0s>
B
Bernie
Apr 4, 2007
Anyone for a game of Qix?

<g>
D
deebs
Apr 4, 2007
C’mon Phos – spill the beans.

Illustrator is not (yet) one of my strong points.
P
Phosphor
Apr 4, 2007
In a nutshell…

Illustrator:
* Create two arbitrary lines
* Blend (specified number of steps) between them
* Select one of the lines and move it
* Screen Shot
* Repeat steps 3 & 4 as often as you want

ImageReady:
* Load-folder of images as frames (making sure they are sequentially named helps—I used a utility to rename all files as: 001.png, 002.png, 003.png…065.png)
* Determine full boundary for all frames, then crop
* Copy and paste all frames after the last one, then reverse their order * Set Color table
* Save Optimized As…

* ???
* Profit!

Done.

There may be easier ways to do this, especially with newer versions of the apps in question, but I just wanted to show what’s possible with old, coal-fired software.
D
deebs
Apr 4, 2007
Sounds good enough for me.

Can one perform crops in Illustrator too?
P
Phosphor
Apr 4, 2007
Well, kind of…but how you go about it depends on the version of Illustrator you’re working with.

If you’re looking to do something like I did, I suppose you could simply export each successive image as a JPEG or PNG or GIF or whatever. And you could set up a hot-key shortcut to do that drudgery for you. You just have to be careful to not move your objects beyond the limits of your page boundary in Illustrator.

The reason I captured each successive movement of the line-blend as a full-monitor screen shot was because when I imported all the screen shots as frames into ImageReady, it placed the objects of the the piece in the exact same position within ImageReady’s workspace.

I was using a huge document size setup in Illustrator…screen caps were smaller in pixel size that the document size setup I was working with.
D
deebs
Apr 4, 2007
I found it.

Object > Crop area > make/release > click on document bounds > resize > Object > crop area > make > Bongo! (Illustrator CS)

This places crop marks into the documents and subsequent File > Export conforms to those crop marks (it is a trundle through file types though.

I’ll be busy for a while but i’ll play with this to see if I can combine the steps into an action type thingy with keyboard shortcuts.

A non destructive crop really is rather excellent.
A
aikido
Apr 10, 2007
Sweet!

I’ll try the suggestions! 🙂
At first i was a bit worried that i’d really have to toss my camera around until i’d get the desired effect, but there seems to be more reasonable ways to do this.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections