Posted By
Madhusudan Singh
Oct 23, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi

A few weeks ago, I scanned a set of SEM images on a Mac OSX connected scanner and saved them as tif files. I transferred these files to my Debian laptop, and tried converting them to .png images using :

convert $1.tif $1.png

Now when I include these in my tex document and run pdflatex, it completely messes up my PDF bookmarks (if I replace these converted png images with some vanilla png images, everything is fine). I can still view and print the document, but the electronic form of the document is a mess.

If I try to view these tif files, with xv, it quits with segmentation fault. kuickview does show the images but with a slew of errors in the console log.

tiffinfo yields :

tiffinfo bst1.tif
bst1.tif: Warning, unknown field with tag 700 (0x2bc) ignored. bst1.tif: Warning, unknown field with tag 34665 (0x8769) ignored. TIFF Directory at offset 0x8
Subfile Type: (0 = 0x0)
Image Width: 1545 Image Length: 1228
Resolution: 300, 300 pixels/inch
Bits/Sample: 16
Compression Scheme: LZW
Photometric Interpretation: min-is-black
Date & Time: "2004:06:05 17:31:01"
Software: "Adobe Photoshop 7.0"
Samples/Pixel: 1
Rows/Strip: 2
Planar Configuration: single image plane
Photoshop Data: <present>, 9018 bytes
RichTIFFIPTC Data: <present>, 2 bytes

Apparently these 700 and 34665 tags are causing some problem (there are some issues which I found on Google that these tags throw up in other contexts as well – see
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_id=5790&a mp;max_rows=25&style=nested&viewmonth=200403 ).

Is there some tool that I could use to get rid of these pesky tags that are probably (and feel free to suggest otherwise if something else is the cause) causing these headaches ?

Thanks.

PS : I understand now why pdflatex does not support tif natively any longer.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections