D
Posted By
Dugjak
Jun 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am new to Photoshop 8 CS. I am scanning photographs for a book that will be offset printed, problem is that some of the original photographs are no longer available and I have to work from either newspaper prints or prints in existing books. When I do this I get a ‘moire’ effect and the printed scans are unsatisfactory. My scanning software does not have a control to remove this effect (at least I cannot find one). I have read that I should use a blur effect. Is there a filter in photoshop designed for this or a particular plug-in that will assist me?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

XT
xalinai_Two
Jun 1, 2004
On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 19:58:05 +1000, "Dugjak"
wrote:

I am new to Photoshop 8 CS. I am scanning photographs for a book that will be offset printed, problem is that some of the original photographs are no longer available and I have to work from either newspaper prints or prints in existing books. When I do this I get a ‘moire’ effect and the printed scans are unsatisfactory. My scanning software does not have a control to remove this effect (at least I cannot find one). I have read that I should use a blur effect. Is there a filter in photoshop designed for this or a particular plug-in that will assist me?

Are you asking where to find the blur filter or whether there is a de-moiré plugin?

Michael
D
Dugjak
Jun 2, 2004
My scanning software has a descreen option. I now understand that if I scan at a lower resolution (say 300 dpi instead of 600 dpi) I will get a better result in this situation.

Is there a de-moire plugin for photoshop. If so, what is it called?

"Xalinai" wrote in message
wrote:

I am new to Photoshop 8 CS. I am scanning photographs for a book that
will
be offset printed, problem is that some of the original photographs are
no
longer available and I have to work from either newspaper prints or
prints
in existing books. When I do this I get a ‘moire’ effect and the printed scans are unsatisfactory. My scanning software does not have a control to remove this effect (at least I cannot find one). I have read that I
should
use a blur effect. Is there a filter in photoshop designed for this or a particular plug-in that will assist me?

Are you asking where to find the blur filter or whether there is a de-moir
O
Odysseus
Jun 3, 2004
In article <40bdbeea$0$8110$>,
"Dugjak" wrote:

My scanning software has a descreen option. I now understand that if I scan at a lower resolution (say 300 dpi instead of 600 dpi) I will get a better result in this situation.

The two main ones are called "Blur" and "Rotate". 😉

Seriously, you can sometimes reduce moiré by scanning an image slightly crooked and then straightening it out in Photoshop. Slight changes to the scan resolution can also make a big difference; a moiré that appears strong at 300 ppi might be much less apparent at 290 or 310 — experiment! There’s certainly no point to scanning a printed piece at a resolution more than twice the original screen ruling: say about 150 ppi for newspapers or 250-300 ppi for magazines; all you’ll get is clearer renditions of the halftone dots, which you *don’t* want to see in the final result.

Odysseus
U
Uni
Jun 3, 2004
Dugjak wrote:

If this moiré’ pattern does not change when zooming in/out….

A.) Try rotating the image maybe 45 degree the scanner platen.
B.) Try various scanning resolutions. I prefer 400 DPI.

Uni
U
Uni
Jun 3, 2004
Odysseus wrote:
In article <40bdbeea$0$8110$>,
"Dugjak" wrote:

The two main ones are called "Blur" and "Rotate". 😉
Seriously, you can sometimes reduce moiré by scanning an image slightly crooked and then straightening it out in Photoshop. Slight changes to the scan resolution can also make a big difference; a moiré that appears strong at 300 ppi might be much less apparent at 290 or 310 — experiment!

Very good suggestions!!!

Uni

There’s certainly no point to scanning a printed piece at a
resolution more than twice the original screen ruling: say about 150 ppi for newspapers or 250-300 ppi for magazines; all you’ll get is clearer renditions of the halftone dots, which you *don’t* want to see in the final result.
AQ
Aaron Queenan
Jun 3, 2004
"Dugjak" wrote in message

Try using the median filter with a width set to roughly the distance between adjacent blobs in the scan, then resize so that each blob becomes a pixel, and finally unsharp mask.

Regards,
Aaron Queenan.
KS
Kulvinder Singh Matharu
Jun 3, 2004
wrote:

[snip]
in existing books. When I do this I get a ‘moire’ effect and the printed scans are unsatisfactory. My scanning software does not have a control to

Nice tips here…

http://www.scantips.com/basics06.html

BTW, what scanning software are you using?

Kulvinder Singh Matharu
Contact details : http://www.metalvortex.com/form/form.htm Website : http://www.metalvortex.com/

"It ain’t Coca Cola, it’s rice" – The Clash

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections