– How do I merge vector layers and keep them vector?

R
Posted By
Rustbucket
Aug 24, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I recreated an old logo via line art in Photoshop CS2 by using anchors. The thing is, each item of the logo was placed in a different layer.

I would like to apply a gradient on the logo, but I’d like the gradient to be uniform across the WHOLE logo – not reset at the top of its individual parts (layers). For that to work the way I want it to, all of these layers need to be merged into one. But doing so converts it to pixels. I want it to remain vector-based.

So I guess my question is… can I merge 4 line art layers into one and have it remain line art? Someone once mentioned copy-pasting the anchors but that’s tedious if we’re talking about 50+ layers of line art.

Thanks.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

J
jdoe
Aug 24, 2006
In article <44edcc8b$0$97247$>,
"Morris" wrote:

Hi,

I recreated an old logo via line art in Photoshop CS2 by using anchors. The thing is, each item of the logo was placed in a different layer.
I would like to apply a gradient on the logo, but I’d like the gradient to be uniform across the WHOLE logo – not reset at the top of its individual parts (layers). For that to work the way I want it to, all of these layers need to be merged into one. But doing so converts it to pixels. I want it to remain vector-based.

So I guess my question is… can I merge 4 line art layers into one and have it remain line art? Someone once mentioned copy-pasting the anchors but that’s tedious if we’re talking about 50+ layers of line art.
Thanks.

Never tried anything like this myself but couldn’t you use the layer effects to add a gradient with the same settings for each layer or, baring that, put a gradient layer over all the others and then mask it to fit? you should be able to created a vector based mask right?
R
Rustbucket
Aug 24, 2006
wrote in message
"Morris" wrote:

Never tried anything like this myself but couldn’t you use the layer effects to add a gradient with the same settings for each layer or, baring that, put a gradient layer over all the others and then mask it to fit? you should be able to created a vector based mask right?

Imagine a word, any word, in bold letters and tilted diagonally.

Apply a gradient filter on each letter. Then merge all the letters and apply the same gradient effect to the merged layer. Not quite the same effect, is it? The latter is a constant, fluid gradient… no stop-and-go. No "reset" of the gradient at the top of every letter.

That’s what I’m trying to do… except I want to keep my line art as line art. 🙁 But I don’t think Photoshop lets you merge line layers without converting them to pixels.
T
Tacit
Aug 24, 2006
"Morris" wrote:

No can do, sorry.

You are using the wrong tool for the job, and inviting frustration, problems, and wasted effort. Why aren’t you doing this in Illustrator? It’s a piece of cake in the right program. 🙂

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
Nanohazard, Geek shirts, and more: http://www.villaintees.com
A
Aaron
Aug 25, 2006
Morris wrote:
Hi,

I recreated an old logo via line art in Photoshop CS2 by using
anchors. The
thing is, each item of the logo was placed in a different layer.
I would like to apply a gradient on the logo, but I’d like the
gradient to
be uniform across the WHOLE logo – not reset at the top of its
individual
parts (layers). For that to work the way I want it to, all of these
layers
need to be merged into one. But doing so converts it to pixels. I
want it to
remain vector-based.

So I guess my question is… can I merge 4 line art layers into one
and have
it remain line art? Someone once mentioned copy-pasting the anchors but that’s tedious if we’re talking about 50+ layers of line art.
Thanks.

First of all, you should have used Illustrator.

But, since you haven’t, let’s come up with a solution for you. If you have multiple shape layers and you want a gradient to fill the entire combined shape, do this:

1. Create a new layer. Make sure this layer is the active (selected) layer.

2. Hold Command (PC: Control) and click the first shape layer’s vector mask thumbnail (the one that looks like the shape).

3. Hold Command (PC: Control) AND Shift, and click each of the other shape layers’ vector mask thumbnails in turn. The selection will grow to include each new shape portion.

4. Gradient to your heart’s content.

This is a compromise because 1) you keep your vector layers so you can edi them later, but 2) you’ll have to repeat this process each time to create the gradient version.

If you suspect you’ll be doing many tweaks, I would suggest filling an entire new layer with the gradient and then performing the selection method I outlined above and using the selection to create a layer mask on the gradient layer. That way, if you re-do the process, you can delete the mask, re-select the layers, re-create the mask, and the gradient will be in its original orientation.

Again, this is really a workaround for not having built the shape in Illustrator to begin with, or at least changing the shape layer mode to "union" before drawing the other shapes so that they would be combined on the same layer.

Read the Photoshop CS help for more information on using union, intersect, subtract, etc., when drawing shapes in shape layers.

Aaron

"Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." — John Stuart Mill

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections