Is it possible to merge multiple vector layer into one?

Posted By
2kSU
Jul 24, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This is with Photoshop 7.0.

I created a grid background with square tool. The result was about 200 different vector layers. Is there a way I can merge all those layers into one layer and still preserve it in vector form?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

P
Phosphor
Jul 24, 2007
It can be done (manually, but there may be a script or action that could expedite the process—I don’t know for sure, as I’ve never seen nor needed one), but the better solution is to create the grid all on one layer in the first place.

And this can be done in Photoshop, but Illustrator would be a more efficient tool.

Got Illustrator?
P
Phosphor
Jul 24, 2007
But, in answer to your original question, the tutorial at the following link will provide the clues you need to do what you want.
<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.2cd10047>

But here’s what I think:

3 separate vector layers? Fairly simple.

200 separate vector layers? Maddening.
2kSU
Jul 24, 2007
This is at work, we used to have Illustrator but after a computer crash the last IT manager didn’t reinstall Illustrator and the current IT manager don’t know anything about it. I can’t find the install disk for Illustrator and a lot of time I find myself saying "This would be a lot easier if I have Illustrator".

Originally, the boss said he wanted to see various square grid backgrounds. So I figured the fastest way to make it would be to make a line of square and duplicate it to fill the entire page. That way I can easily manipulate it until the boss is happy with it.

Now the printer wants it in vector form and in it current 200 layers incarnation it’s about 30 mb big and I couldn’t send it through e-mail. That’s why I want it in one layer now.
P
Phosphor
Jul 24, 2007
Explain this scenario to the boss. Bypass the idiot IT people.

If Illustrator would save time, and since time equals money, every boss I know has always liked understanding issues on those terms.

Get Illustrator reinstalled and quit pissing around with the wrong tool for the job.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 24, 2007
I agree. Stop pissing around with the wrong tool for the job.

It can be done in Photoshop, but would be much better done in Illustrator. If you MUST do it in Photoshop, use the Paths palette. Note, as of CS at least, you won’t get more than one color per Shape layer, unless that has changed.
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Jul 24, 2007
You could try Ctrl-clicking the composite channel of your document to make a selection of your vectors (if these are black on white background, you’d need to inverse the selection after that), then go to the Path Palette, and click make new path from selection. Enter as low a tolerance as possible to preserve the angled intersections.

From there, you can make a new Custom Shape from your path or whatever.

Might work, and its fairly easy.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections