S
Posted By
steph
Dec 15, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Has anyone else noticed this effect? Where you have a layer style applied (such as a glass effect with a shadow), and when you flatten that layer to merge the style with the layer contents, the appearance of the style changes for the worse? It may become rough and pixelly around the edges, or lose much of the colour depth within the shape, or the shadow may become dense and flat rather than translucent…

I have noticed this time and again, and it is disappointing. Sometimes the only way i can retain the style appearance is to take a screenshot of the unflattened image, and then open that in PS and use it rather than flattening that portion of my original artwork

Can anyone suggest a solution to this irritating and puzzling problem?

steph

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

R
Ruth
Dec 18, 2003
annoying, isn’t it!
i think the only way to fix it is to make layers out of the effects before you flatten i, and that doesn’t always work either.
but its a starting point.

a bit tedious if you have a lot of layer styles.

hope this helps

"steph" wrote in message
Has anyone else noticed this effect? Where you have a layer style applied (such as a glass effect with a shadow), and when you flatten that layer to merge the style with the layer contents, the appearance of the style
changes
for the worse? It may become rough and pixelly around the edges, or lose much of the colour depth within the shape, or the shadow may become dense and flat rather than translucent…

I have noticed this time and again, and it is disappointing. Sometimes the only way i can retain the style appearance is to take a screenshot of the unflattened image, and then open that in PS and use it rather than flattening that portion of my original artwork

steph

S
Sweet-P
Dec 21, 2003
What usually works for me is to put a blank transparent layer underneath the layer with the style effects, then merge the two layers. That seems to allow the new merged layer to be used as a normal layer. See if that works for you.

Sweet-P

"Ruth" wrote in message
annoying, isn’t it!
i think the only way to fix it is to make layers out of the effects before you flatten i, and that doesn’t always work either.
but its a starting point.

a bit tedious if you have a lot of layer styles.

hope this helps

"steph" wrote in message
Has anyone else noticed this effect? Where you have a layer style
applied
(such as a glass effect with a shadow), and when you flatten that layer
to
merge the style with the layer contents, the appearance of the style
changes
for the worse? It may become rough and pixelly around the edges, or lose much of the colour depth within the shape, or the shadow may become
dense
and flat rather than translucent…

I have noticed this time and again, and it is disappointing. Sometimes
the
only way i can retain the style appearance is to take a screenshot of
the
unflattened image, and then open that in PS and use it rather than flattening that portion of my original artwork

steph

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections