RS
Posted By
Rob_Strieby
Oct 13, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a PS7 installation that when selecting "blending options", the Layer Style dialog box appears off screen. I have tried the usual; reset pallet locations under workspace; under preferences I have unchecked "save pallet locations". I have uninstalled photoshop, removed any reference to photoshop in the registry, erased both the photoshop directory and the adobe common file directory, reinstalled PS and still no layer style box. The layer style box is running, as all the other cmds are locked out. The other dialog boxes pop up right in the center of the screen.

The workflow is: open a new document, enter some text, right click on the text box in the layer pallet and select blending options.

Has anyone else seen this issue and more importantly found a solution?

Where does photoshop store dialog box locations?

Regards, Rob

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JM
John Mensinger
Oct 13, 2005
Rob, I can’t guarantee this will work, but you can try it. With the Layer Style dialog active, but off-screen as you describe, press Alt+Spacebar, then press M. Now your arrow keys are in control of the dialog box’s movement. Without knowing which side/top/bottom of the screen it may be outside of, (assuming you can’t see any part of it), it’s impossible to know which direction to go, so it will be trial & error until you see it working its way in from an edge.
RS
Rob_Strieby
Oct 13, 2005
John:

It worked! Problem solved.

It took some trial and error to find the box, but it worked. I even reinstalled PS6 to see if it had the problem and the PS6 box was centered just fine. I guess the dialog box locations are version specific. At least I feel comfortable enough to install my CS2 upgrade on this hardware.

MANY THANKS!
Rob
JM
John Mensinger
Oct 13, 2005
Great Rob. Glad you got it sorted out.
C
chrisjbirchall
Oct 13, 2005
If it happens again, try Alt+Ctrl+Shift as you open Photoshop, this will reset the preferences file and likely as not solve the problem.
the Preferences file "survives" at full reinstall of Photoshop. The newly installed program simply picks up the old Prefs file and uses its settings.

Chris.
JM
John Mensinger
Oct 13, 2005
Good point, Chris. He could be in the same bind every time he launches the app if he never trashes the prefs.
RS
Rob_Strieby
Oct 13, 2005
After finding the box with Alt-Space/M, the box returned to the newly located position upon re-entering PS. Great way to handle the issue without loosing all of your prefs. I will remember the Ctrl-Alt-Shift for more drastic measures. Thanks John and Chris.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections