Posted By
Ray
Jan 27, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all !

I think I found a bug, but it’s not consistent (it doesn’t happen all of the times). I created a document 1912 x 1368 pixels at 300 pixels per inch, white background.

I was creating the texture for this image. Basically, what I did is I painted the background, added
noise, then ran the Facet filter a few times (then the Crystalize, the Glass, added a few text layers, drop shadows). Later, when I tried to print the document, I realized several times bigger then the print preview window. I canceled, got back, step by step in the history palette, and realized than before I added the Facet filter, the resolution indicated 300 pixels / inch, and right
after the first Facet filter, it dropped to 72 pixels per inch.

Now, I cannot replicate it at will in other documents. I can, in this document, as soon as I click in the history palette passed the first Facet filter application, see that the resolution drops to 72 pixels.

Anybody else noticed that before?

Ray

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jan 27, 2004
Ray, where is the Facet filter? I haven’t encounted that one before….

(I guess you’re not referring to the Faucet Filter I use on my water supply to get the foul taste out of the Texas water….)

Chuck
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jan 27, 2004
Hi, Chuck. It’s one of the Pixelate filters, but you can’t adjust it–it just does what it does.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jan 27, 2004
Hi, Barbara: I found it and clicked on it with an image open; got no visible change. Tried another image – same effect. Must be a very subtle filter indeed!
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jan 27, 2004
Yes, you have to zoom way in to see it at work, or use a very low res image if you want it to affect a print at all.

Ray, I’m curious–what do you use it for?
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 27, 2004
Hi Ray, This is fun, I got the Facet filter to work fine, by playing around with it for a while. Then looked in the History and it was still 300 ppi.
I am now taking the dog for her cold walk, and signing off, but I want to follow this tomorrow morning, I need to learn these things about PSE.
Jane
R
Ray
Jan 27, 2004
I was creating a pool like effect (seen from above the ground). It’s actually nice!

I don’t know, perhaps my Elements preferences needs to be reset.. ? Well, I’ll see if other things begin to malfunction and apply this recipe.

Thanks everyone,

Ray
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jan 27, 2004
Ray, I honestly can’t see any effect from the application of this filter – any particular image types and/or pixel dimensions on which it performs best?

Chuck
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jan 27, 2004
Ray, I got it to work on a 640×480 – now I see what it does! (Thanks, Barbara, for your earlier advice re using a smaller image)
R
Ray
Jan 27, 2004
Chuck,

I’ve applied it on noise. Here’s an extract from the help :

"Redraws a layer as blocks of solid color. You can use this filter to make a scanned image look hand
painted or to make a realistic image resemble an abstract painting."

Ray

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections