D
Posted By
dpick
Aug 25, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I mention "possible" because it may be my system and not Photoshop, but here goes.

Recently, the Northeast/Midwest power problems reeked havoc on my system. I lost my 19" monitor and was forced to use my spare 15" monitor(ugh!). When I reconfigured the system (fixed the corrupted bios) and set up to use the 15" monitor I found I could no longer use Levels, Color Balance, and Curves when using Photoshop. The program would simply lock up. With all the other problems, I figured PS was corrupted, so I reinstalled. Didn’t help.

To make a long story semi-short, when I changed my screen resolution from 1280×1024 to 800×600 (because of the smaller monitor), Photoshop didn’t seem to notice the resolution change when an action called for a dialog box. Any action where a dialog box was needed would not work because the dialog boxes were loading wayyyy off the screen (when I used them in the 1280×1024 resolution I keep near the right edge of the screen).

The way I fixed it was going back to 1280 X 1024 doing the actions which took dialog boxes, putting them in the center of the screen, then I changed back to 800×600 (ugh!) and was able to use the program.

Before posting, I tried to search this topic to see if this problem had been mentioned before. I was unable to find anyone else with the problem. So, I don’t know if this is a problem particular to my system, or if it hasn’t come up before. It would have saved a lot of headaches (then I already had–where’s that UPS catalog…) if Photoshop had taken a screen resolution change into account when generating dialog boxes.

Thanks

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 25, 2003
You sure just your monitor was affected and not your vid card also? For giggles and grins, try swapping vid cards to anything else and see what happens.
DM
dave milbut
Aug 25, 2003
Mathias Vejerslev "Dialog box is missing??" 10/29/02 2:06pm </cgi-bin/webx?50>
D
dpick
Aug 25, 2003
Thanks for the quick replies. Glad to know it’s not just me.

Sorry, Dave. I was scanning the topic names, and not the body of the text. Would have seen the reference had I taken the time. Rookie mistake.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections