I
Posted By
ieee488
Jan 25, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is it possible in PSE1 to make fonts bigger than 72px?
My dropdown box maxes out at 72.

Thanks.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jan 25, 2004
Just type in a larger number instead of taking one of the dropdown selections. I just tried it with 144 – worked just fine!
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jan 25, 2004
1296 is the max!

Mac
TF
Terri_Foster
Jan 25, 2004
Chuck. Thanks for the tip. I would have never thought of just typing in my own number. I thought fonts were only available for the sizes listed in the pull down menu too. Excellant tip!
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jan 25, 2004
Terri, I actually didn’t know the answer to your question, so I just did the old trial-and-error approach. Was pleased that it worked!

Chuck
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 25, 2004
I never type in the amount I need….I just use the move/transform tool and make it the size i want…holding down shift key to keep proportions( if I care about that ). Text is vector until you rasterize it ( simplify ) so it always looks good no matter what size you make it.
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Jan 25, 2004
Wow…what a great thread! Thanks Jodi and Chuck and Mac for some really useful tips! Bert
TF
Terri_Foster
Jan 25, 2004
Chuck, I’m not ieee488 just happened to catch this thread. I had wondered how to get bigger fonts just never ventured to ask. She/he has a pretty cool online name. I have this picture of her/him pulling their hair and screeching 488.
I
ieee488
Jan 26, 2004
Terri,

ROTFL.

ieee stands for Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers 488 is one of the standards put forth by IEEE for
Standard Digital Interface for Programmable Instrumentation

Jodi,

What does Auto Select Layer do under the Move tool? I must have inadvertently turned it off, so I had to reset the Move tool to get your hint to work.

Linda
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jan 26, 2004
Linda, re IEEE, I thought that might be what it stood for. My late father was a long time member of the Institute; I remember large piles of Proceedings of the IEEE in his ham radio room…nice memories.
TF
Terri_Foster
Jan 26, 2004
Ieee488, Oops. I must have an overactive imagination. I hope you didn’t take offense to my speculation as to the meaning of your online name.
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Jan 26, 2004
Hey, I even knew what IEEE488 was…I’ve used the interface with HP test equipment…it’s a bus used to control test equipment from a computer. But I WAS mystified by the use of it as a handle on the forum…
bert
DS
Dick_Smith
Jan 26, 2004
"I remember large piles of Proceedings of the IEEE in his ham radio room…nice memories."

Chuck, did you follow your dad into the hobby? I’ve been licensed for 46 years, now! Yipes that puts a different slant on things!

Dick
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 26, 2004
ieee, Auto select > you can click on an image on the screen and it will automatically select the layer with a transform bounding box. I leave it off. For me it’s only use is to find something if I have a zillion layers and that doesn’t always work either….depending on amount of transparency in the layer and other layers that are too close. It should not have affected the method of resizing text though.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jan 26, 2004
Dick, alas, in spite of his best efforts, he couldn’t get me to follow in his footsteps. Too bad, actually…
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Jan 26, 2004
in spite of his best efforts, he couldn’t get me to follow in his footsteps

Chuck,
If he had, you would have ended up like me, an old broken down ex-geek engineer. Be thankful you escaped.
Neither of my kids followed me, either. Son is a music composer, daughter was an English Lit major, now a housewife and mother.
Bert
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jan 26, 2004
Hi Dick,

My husband decided to become a radio ham when he retired about eight years ago … I well remember him learning Morse in order to take the dreaded "Morse Test". Now one of our garages has become his Shack!!!

Still it lets me get in the study and play with Elements!!

Wendy
DS
Dick_Smith
Jan 26, 2004
Bert,

I cannot, by any stretch of the imagination, be called a "broken-down geek engineer".

Broken down ex-teacher, ex-school administrator, yes, but engineer, no.

Chuck, sorry you didn’t follow up with it. It’s a great hobby, but like digital photography, it can certainly swallow up all available assets!

Wendy, congratulations to your husband. His call must begin with a "G" correct? Mine is K4KQJ

Dick
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jan 26, 2004
Dick, my dad was W2HSA; before that he was W3NIP and, way back when, was KA1ABN.

Chuck
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Jan 26, 2004
I cannot, by any stretch of the imagination, be called a "broken-down geek engineer".

I was referring to myself, Dick.
DS
Dick_Smith
Jan 26, 2004
Sorry bout that, Bert.
I
ieee488
Jan 26, 2004
Terri,
No offense taken at all. It gave me a good belly laugh. 🙂

Linda
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jan 26, 2004
Hi Dick,

The G’s finished before my husband qualified … they moved on to M0’s. He managed to add his initals and become M0MRW.

I have passed your call sign onto him. He tends to hang around the 10m (10-10 chapters) … but most of it is double dutch to me.

73’s
from the XYL

(alias Wendy)
TF
Terri_Foster
Jan 27, 2004
ieee488, Whew. Glad to hear that.
DS
Dick_Smith
Jan 27, 2004
Wendy, I’ll write his call down. Didn’t know they’d outdone the "G"!

Well you sure have the shorthad down!

Dick
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 27, 2004
My father-in-law was W1KCL, and he tried to get my husband and family interested, but they were always doing other things.
What a wonderful hobby he had! I just wish that someone in the family had wanted to study and get a license or at least use his awesome equipment.
After he died, we gave away a trailer-load of great and antique stuff. He used to talk all over the world, and from the research ships too, and had visited the places and taken many pictures.
Next project, scan in his slides and PSE them(they need work) and look at some of the cities and ports that have changed dramatically since.
Every time I look at a new post here, it gives me another project that this family should be doing. There is a lot of history in every family’s old pictures, and in Grampa’s boxes of his contacts(I don’t remember the proper word for all those postcards).
More fun!
Jane
DM
Dave_McElderry
Jan 27, 2004
Hey Jane, how about QSL cards?
DS
Dick_Smith
Jan 27, 2004
QSL’s they are Dave. They don’t get used as much these days as they used to. Fact is, QSL’s have gone digital now to, sent and received in seconds over the internet with some kind of digital signature.

Dick

Have we uncovered another Ham photographer?
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jan 27, 2004
Dick and other hams: Did you know the origin of the term ‘HAM’? I didn’t, until I just googled it:

http://w1af.harvard.edu/hamorigin.html

Guess we’re getting pretty far off topic, huh?
BG
Byron Gale
Jan 27, 2004
Chuck,

According to the disclaimer at the end of the story, we STILL don’t know… 🙂

Byron
DS
Dick_Smith
Jan 27, 2004
Yep, major thread drift here! Oh well.

The "Ham" thing is about as difficult to track down as "Tar Heel"
DM
Dave_McElderry
Jan 27, 2004
Dick,

Nope – I’m neither a Ham or a photographer. (Just because I take photographs doesn’t mean I’m a photographer; just because I eat doesn’t make me a gourmet <G>.)

When I was a youngster I grew up down the street from a friend who had Muscular Dystrophy. Confined to a wheelchair, Al put his overly high IQ into mentally challenging activities, including becoming one of the youngest people in the country at that time to qualify for one of the higher class Amateur Radio licenses. I don’t remember any more which it was. I used to sit with him for hours while he worked the world. Sometimes he would let me talk, too, which was legal so long as he was right there. Voice was fascinating, but it was really fun to watch him operate the "bug", on which he had incredible code speed. Al died of a respiratory infection that his MD kept him from fighting off at the age of 16. Since then I’ve know a few amateurs, but have never gotten into it myself. That was 35 – 40 years ago, but his call is still as clear in my mind today as it was then – WA8QWK "William Able Eight Queen William King"
DS
Dick_Smith
Jan 27, 2004
Fascinating story, Dave.

My first call was KN8KQJ, back in the mid 50’s. Gradually went up the license ladder to Extra Class in the 70’s and dropped the "N".

When we moved down here 5 years ago I changed it to K4KQJ.

Where did QWK and you live at the time?
DM
Dave_McElderry
Jan 27, 2004
Dick, we lived in Lima, Ohio, USA, and I still do.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections