DM
Posted By
Dan_Macy
Aug 29, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I had a problem with some Photoshop files that wouldn’t open without a text engine initialization error. The resolution was to copy all my fonts to a temporary folder, delete them from C:\Windows\Fonts, and then reinstall them. That cleared up the problem with those Photoshop files.

Now the font size in many dialog boxes is larger and more bold than before. This is true, for example, in the Print dialog box in Acrobat 7.0 and many of the dialog boxes in FrameMaker 7.1. What font is used in these dialog boxes, and what might have changed when I uninstalled and reinstalled the fonts?

I’m using CS2 on Win XP Pro.

Dan

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Aug 30, 2007
Hi Dan,

Rather than answer your "Help!!" question in that thread, which is of the nature that some people ignore anyway due to the title not providing any useful information, I’ll try and answer here. After all, at least this thread’s title does give the reader some potential idea of what you’re asking about.

Why no answers in this or other forums where the question is similar? I don’t know. Perhaps, for the same reason I didn’t reply yesterday when I first saw your post…because with respect to answering that question, I also don’t know. Sometimes, a post will go without replies for quite a while, and I usually assume it is either because the topic is a tired one that has been discussed to death in multiple threads, or simply, noone who has read the post has had an answer to offer.

Keep in mind that your question introduces several variables: The O/S in use, the specific Photoshop, Acrobat, and FramMaker versions, and perhaps knowing of a common dialog box to compare across the multiple applications, where the font appearance differs. Then, on top of all that, one would have to know their font types well enough to recognize which font is being used in a given dialog window.

What I can tell you is this: On my work PC, which has Photoshop CS, Acrobat 6.0, Adobe Reader 8.0, and FrameMaker 7.1 installed, the Print Setup dialog of FM and Acrobat looks identical in the fonts used, while the fonts in the Print Document dialog of FM look "stronger"…blacker but not bold. On close inspection, while the fonts are similar, I do see differences. Meanwhile, the PS CS Print with Preview dialog is using yet another font. So, I’m not sure which font face each is, but I’m guessing that the Print Setup dialog is a generic Windows dialow window, whereas the Print Document dialog of FM, and Print with Preview dialog of PS are each application-specific dialogs, using whatever fonts were chosen in the design of the GUI.

Why the changes now relative to what they were before you did the font uninstall/reinstall? I’ve no idea. Of those who’ve read your post, perhaps none of them know either.

Oh, and keep in mind also that the Appearance settings for Windows can be customized by the user, so that may also factor in for the common dialogs (i.e., the ones which aren’t application-specific).

Regards,

Daryl

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections