JP
Posted By
James_PL_Davis
Jul 28, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I try to save files as jpeg or pdf files from Photoshop CS (running on Mac G5 OSX (10.3.4) I am unable to open these files in anything other than Photoshop CS.

The files are normally CMYK 300dpi images.

Any ideas?

James Davis

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

R
Ram
Jul 28, 2004
How large are the files?

If they are over 2GB, or if they exceed 300,000 pixels in width or height, only Photoshop 8 can open them.

Just in case:

If you are opening files over a network or saving them to a network server, cease and desist immediately. That’s a BIG no-no.

See:

Buko "Issues When Working from Networks or Removable Media" 3/23/03 11:02am </cgi-bin/webx?14/0>

and:

<http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/19dd2.htm?code=TA>

Copy the CLOSED file from your server to your local HD, work on it, save it again to your HD, close it, and copy the closed file back to the server.
JP
James_PL_Davis
Jul 28, 2004
Hi,

They are not over 2GB or exceed 300,000 pixels… they are basic files… width 1246 pixels, file size 880KB.

And I’m not trying to open them over a server… basically I have emailed them to people, as you do, and they are unable to open them.

J
R
Ram
Jul 28, 2004
basically I have emailed them to people, as you do, and they are unable to open them.

Ah, that’s a different story!

By the way, I assume you are using the impersonal "you", as I’m not in the habit of emailing JPEGs to anybody myself. 🙂 As a matter of fact, I don’t even deal with JPEGs, generally speaking.

In any event, the files could be (most likely are) getting damaged in transit. First, make sure they have the .jpg extension at the end of their file names, and, secondly, zip them before sending them out to preserve the integrity of the file.
JP
James_PL_Davis
Jul 28, 2004
Thanks for that… I’ll give that a try.

J
JP
James_PL_Davis
Jul 28, 2004
Nah, that hasn’t worked either. The error message I get when I try to open the jpeg in Photoshop 7 (running on Windows XP) is:

Unknown or invalid jpeg marker type found

Any ideas?

J
R
Ram
Jul 28, 2004
James,

Unknown or invalid jpeg marker type found

The file is damaged. That’s what the error means. How it got damaged is difficult to tell with the little information you have given us so far.

There is a very small chance that Graphic Converter can open a file that returns that error (works in about a third of the cases). There’s something about how you’re saving or sending out the files that is causing them to be damaged.

Wait one second! Sorry, I had totally missed that:

The files are normally CMYK 300dpi images.

CMYK JPEGs are notorious trouble makers. Can you send RGB JPEGs or CMYK psd files instead?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections