Posted By
Hudson_White
Feb 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I’m trying to save a 20.6 MB file for uploading to a website and I’m getting an error message stopping the conversion process, in PS 5.5. The file is 16 X 20 inches, 2400 x 3000 pixels at 150 pixels/inch. Resample is checked and Bicubic.

I have been able to convert similar smaller RGB files in the 8 – 12 MB range without problem. Is the file too large or what? I have a 500 MgHertz processor on Windows 98, and 192 megs of RAM.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Y
YrbkMgr
Feb 26, 2004
Pardon my directness here.

Why are you using a file that big on the web? Is it so that you can link to it for people to download? Because I cannot see any utility in trying to display an image with those dimensions and that file size, whatsoever.

If people must be able to download a 20 meg file, use a smaller image and link to the 20 meg file.

Also, you don’t need SFW, it’s just convenient, and you’re pushing the limits of the "applet". You can File|Save As… and save it as a jpg. SFW does optimization nicely but on a file that size, optimization doesn’t matter.

Peace,
Tony
R
Raydar
Feb 26, 2004
I am with Tony

Some thing that big just mail it.

Sorry
Ray 🙁
CW
Colin_Walls
Feb 26, 2004
Some thing that big just mail it

Whilst I agree that posting something this big on the Web for viewing is senseless, emailing it is as bad. The MIME protocol for email attachments is fantastically inefficient as it was designed to solve some specific problems.

As advised, don’t use SFW. Save as a JPEG using Save As and post as a link so that someone can download the file, as a browser will struggle to display the image too.

Important question: why are you doing this?
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Feb 26, 2004
Maybe Raydar meant to advise to snail-mail it (on a CD). Anyway, that’s what I would do. Rob
CW
Colin_Walls
Feb 26, 2004
Maybe Raydar meant to advise to snail-mail it (on a CD).

You are probably right. Didn’t think of that.
That’s so 20th Century. 🙂
L
larry
Feb 26, 2004
There is a physical limit on file size on using Save For Web.

Larry Berman
HW
Hudson_White
Feb 26, 2004
Hi All,

I am converting the file to JPG and uploading it to a commercial website where it will be sold online as a 16 X 20 inch poster. As far as I know, the JPG must be the same size as the poster file on the other end where the poster will be displayed for sale. In other words, I cannot send a smaller file that will be enlarged somehow on the other end. Nor can I send the file as a CD. It must be an upload. I don’t think I can send a link. The company, cafeart.com, accepts uploads of JPG files up to 7 MB, so there must be a way to do this. If there is a physical limit to the size of a web file, what is it?

Thanks for your replies.
CW
Colin_Walls
Feb 26, 2004
I would like to look at this more, but cafeart.com doesn’t take me anywhere. Can you please provide the full URL.
DM
Don_McCahill
Feb 26, 2004
Hudson

you are going about it the wrong way. If you want people to be able to access your file, you do not want to post it as a jpg on the site. What you want to do it to make a link to the file, with a thumbnail on the page. People will click on the little image, and then download the big one. To do this, it cannot be in jpg format (as most browsers are set to simply open a jpg). I recommend zipping it, which will not make it much smaller, but will allow people to DL it to their disk. They can then unzip it and print it from there. (You may want to make a self-extracting zip file, so that people without zip understanding can just click to unzip.)

Since your big picture will never be posted directly, you do not need, or want to save it through save for web. Do as others have suggested and do a simple save as with jpg as the format you want. Then zip it, and upload the zip to your provider.

Now, this does not answer the problem of your posting a 20 meg file on a provider that has a limit of 7 megs, but I will leave that to you.
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 26, 2004
since it’s cafe art’s rules you need to follow (i can’t find that site either, btw), they could probably tell you better what you need to do. have you asked them?

dave
L
LenHewitt
Feb 26, 2004
Colin,

cafeart.com doesn’t take me anywhere<<

but http://www.cafearte.com will….. instructions start at /bemember.htm#3
NP
Nona_Pearson
Feb 26, 2004
CW
Colin_Walls
Feb 26, 2004
OK. I took a look at this site and found it very confusing.

As a potential seller, I wouldn’t really know what to do. There are links that don’t work and confusing instructions. All I could glean was the OP was barking up the wrong tree. They certainly don’t want big images. They just want something to display. The "artist" has to produce the print to send to the buyer.

As a potential buyer, I just couldn’t understand the pricing.
HW
Hudson_White
Feb 26, 2004
Sorry All,

It’s cafepress.com. The original pds file is 20+ MBs, but the jpg file conversion will be much smaller, as I know from experience with smaller, similar files. I’ll try saving it as a jpg under Save As instead of Save For Web, and see what happens.

The file I upload is what cafepress will use to create a print-on-demand poster measuring 16 X 20 inches.

Thanks for your response.
Y
YrbkMgr
Feb 26, 2004
Hudson,

The file I upload is what cafepress will use to create a print-on-demand poster measuring 16 X 20 inches.

Thank you. That makes sense, but it’s a bit of a bohemian way to do it. Do they require JPG’s?

When you use JPG, you are reducing the quality of your image since that file format uses "Lossy" compression. It removes pixels. That may not be a big deal, but that’s why JPG files are smaller in file size. You might consider using another file format, if possible.

Without knowing all the issues (file size req’s, etc.), it’s hard to make a recommendation on what other format to use, but if you use File|Save As Jpg, it should work.

Peace,
Tony

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections