FL
Posted By
Fred_Lawman
Jul 6, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Help. I’m trying to scan slides via an HP S20 scanner into PSE2.0. After choosing Import\HPS20\ etc.,the slide is scanned and appears in the work space of PSE. However, when I try to save it or do any thing else, I lose the tool bar and can’t get it back.The only way I can save the image is to go to shut down, or restart and choose "save changes". This has never happened before. I can scan directly to the hard drive and go from there, but I’d rather keep it all in elements. I’m working MS98 sec.ed.on a Dell dimension T500MHZ Pent.III with 256mgs of ram. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Fred

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BH
Beth_Haney
Jul 6, 2004
Since you’re scanning slides, those are often done at a high resolution and result in a pretty big file size. You give your processor specs and amount of RAM, but you don’t say how much free hard drive space you have. Before exploring more drastic things, first do a complete system maintenance routine, including a defrag, and then see how much space you can get free. You might also want to increase the amount of RAM. This sounds, at first blush, like inadequate system resources, since the problem occurs when you try to save. I, too, have an HP S20 that I use with a Win 98 machine, but I don’t try to run PSE at the same time. I do all of the scans first and then move on.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jul 6, 2004
Yep, sounds very much like system resource problem.

Run Windows Resource Meter in system tray if want to see if they are dropping way down into "the yellow zone" when doing this.

M
FL
Fred_Lawman
Jul 8, 2004
Beth and Mac,

Thank you for you quick reply. I tried the defraging procedure and obtained 61% free space on the 13.6GB hard drive that I have. Unfortunately, the problem still persists. I also encountered a screen "freeze" when scanning directly with the S20. The slide was accepeted at 1200 DPI and appeared on the preview screen. When I clicked "Final Scan" the scan started then stopped part way through.
The "humming" stopped and the hour glass icon appeared,. Then nothing. I could not eject the slide nor access any commands. I had to turn off the computer manually. I sent an e-mail to HP support and waiting for their reply. Have you ever experienced anything like this ?

Fred
BH
Beth_Haney
Jul 8, 2004
No, I’ve never had anything like this happen. (Well, not when using the scanner anyway.) Have you installed any new software, or are you running antivirus software? Sometimes the antivirus, in particular, can cause some applications to do weird things. I don’t have any loaded on the computer I use with the HP S20, because it isn’t online, so I don’t know whether it could be a culprit or not.

Usually when something that used to work correctly quits, it’s because there’s been some change in configuration. Anything come to mind? Oh, and what else, if anything, do you have open when scanning? Given the computer I use is getting pretty long in the tooth, I try to make sure the scanning software is the only thing running when I scan.
FL
Fred_Lawman
Jul 8, 2004
The only thing different was that the computer was turned off for a month (all power pulled), and that I uninstalled and then reinstalled the scanner thinking that would help. Nothing was open when I tried to scan directly to the hard drive. By the way, the problem is intermittent. After answering you this morning, I tried again and it worked.

HP has replied to my e-mail. They are supposed to call me? I quess they never had the problem either. Thanks again.
Fred

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections