TG
Posted By
Tom_Grieve
Jul 21, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I know this is off the beaten path – but can anyone recommend a Job Tracking software for OSX? I am starting off a design business and need something to keep track of jobs and billing until I can spring for QuickBooks…maybe something geared for designers?

It would be great if it would talk to OSx’s AddressBook and iCal. I have looked on Apples site, and they have options, but didn’t know if there was a clear favorite.

Thanks!
tg

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

L
LRK
Jul 21, 2004
Tom: Sounds like an interesting topic. I hope it generates discussion.
G
graffiti
Jul 21, 2004
Same here. In fact, I just downloaded the trial of Filemaker Pro. We’re trying to find a new way of tracking projects and other assorted information. Been using Access on a PC (it’s the only time we fire the darn thing up) for years and it’s a pain.
B
Buko
Jul 21, 2004
I have Quick Books Pro 5. QuickBooks is pretty cool. and you can customize it to your business. with 5.02 update I was able to send a file to my accountant that he was able to do my taxes with. v6 is more like the windows version and you can swap files. v5 you can’t open Windows files.

I don’t have v6.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 21, 2004
Linda, you posted this topic already, back on 8:28AM March 17th, 1999. Please refer to the archives for a complete listing and discussion on the subject.

I’m in favor of the job ticket method of job tracking and billing, tied into your accounting program of course.
L
LRK
Jul 21, 2004
Yes, I remembered that topic. Am I being chastised?
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 21, 2004
No, I just have fond memories of all the lengthy discussions that everybody contributed to. This is a subject that is well worth bringing up again because of the OSX issue.
TG
Tom_Grieve
Jul 21, 2004
Sounds like it Linda! But don’t worry it was back in 1999 – probably needs to be upgraded. Anyway – I hope it does generate some useful 2004 ideas.

I really can’t make the leap to quickbooks yet. I was just on MYOB.com looking at FirstEdge seeing what it had to offer, and I rean across this article:
< http://www.creativepro.com/story/feature/19383.html?origin=s tory>

I was also looking at some things on Apples software site (shareware) until things got rolling. So I thought I’d come here and see what the masses use.

tg
L
LRK
Jul 21, 2004
I don’t think it was that far back… but my original bookmark seems to be gone now… and I can’t remember what the thread was called.

I will say this, I still use the job ticket method that Ken recommended to me and it has saved me a great deal of confusion. Not sure if it was from that thread or another one.
TG
Tom_Grieve
Jul 21, 2004
What is the "job ticket method?"

Also I am checking out iWork from IGG software:
<http://www.iggsoftware.com/iwork/index.html>

Looks really cool.

tg
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 21, 2004
Tom, what Linda is talking about is the system I use, in which I borrowed heavily from the way print shops handle their jobs. It might be most informative to visit a local shop that uses job tickets. See what you think of the system as someone there might be most willing to explain it to you as they look to you for possible print jobs in the future. After working in print shops for many years, I couldn’t find a better way of keeping track of jobs, billing for everything, including all the loose ends that go into a job, and also being able to retrieve old jobs on demand with little or no problem. Having a system in place is the key to a well-run business and it should extend to include all the steps you take from receiving a job and entering it into your workflow, clear through to completion and delivery of that job through final billing and payment.

Print shops have been onto the system since the early days of newspaper, letterpress and then developed further through the larger offset printing shops of today.
TG
Tom_Grieve
Jul 21, 2004
I will investigate the job ticket method (including any posts in these forums) – thanks! Ken
L
LRK
Jul 21, 2004
Tom,

I asked Ken if I could share his package and he gave me the go ahead, so as I have time I’ll locate his mockup samples and put something together for you.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 21, 2004
Some people print a complete ‘all job phases’ form on the outside back of the 9 x 12 envelope, some print a form on copy paper and stick it on the back of the envelope. For a small graphics studio, I don’t think it’s necessary to have a form outside of the job ticket. I simply use a ‘front sheet’ which starts out with the information that was input at the job’s inception. As jobs can and often do change, this allows additions or changes to be made and recorded as spatial and temporal history on the front sheet(s.) There is a lot to this system, but it has been well worked out – so it works (has saved my hide more than once.)

You will need to invest in a Hon legal size file cabinet (4 drawer is best.) and just use cardboard banker’s boxes as a cheap method of keeping the overflow jobs you will collect as you grow.

Start your job numbering with #1000 (there’s a reason for all this which may not be readily apparent.)

Best Wishes on your new endeavor,

Ken
TG
Tom_Grieve
Jul 22, 2004
Thanks Ken,

Thanks Linda – I look forward to seeing anything you can provide me. If you wish to email samples – go for it

In the meantime, I will print out what Ken said and try to absorb it! I definitely get the gist of it.

tg
L
LRK
Jul 22, 2004
I’ve put together some downloads from my Web site < http://graphicspalmbeach.com/forum/WorkflowHelps/jobhelps.ht ml>. Thanks to Ann I was reminded to include my own time sheet as well.
M
merge
Jul 22, 2004
Kudos to Ken and LRK for sharing…
B
Buko
Jul 22, 2004
You still need software to track whats in the job ticket. come up with what you print on the outside of the job ticket, what needs to be estimated and put in the job ticket, and add up what was done on the job to bill and invioce the customer. QuickBooks & MYOB are good examples of bookkeeping software. Filemaker Pro is a nice database software that can be customized but if you are not that good with accounting and bookkeeping QBP & MYOB may be a better choice.
TG
Tom_Grieve
Jul 22, 2004
Yeah Buko – that was my next question!
Thanks to all – let me visit Linda’s site and do some research…got to put the kids to bed too!
L
LRK
Jul 22, 2004
I still couldn’t find the original thread where we discussed this topic but I did find some others that are somewhat related. I just added some more links to my Web page.
TG
Tom_Grieve
Jul 22, 2004
Hey L, I just went and downloaded Kens example…strangest thing…got what looks like scanned pieces of notebook paper with no text on them. Would the problem be that I’m looking at them in Preview as opposed to acrobat reader?
L
LRK
Jul 22, 2004
Yes, open them in Reader and zoom in…
TG
Tom_Grieve
Jul 22, 2004
Will do – Loved your website – will have to go when I can spend more time.

Have to go now – will pick it back up in the morning. Have to print out a handful of files tonight, kids need to go to bed, too much to do!

BTW – am downloading reader as we speak – have a great evening.

All for now, Tom
L
LRK
Jul 22, 2004
Thanks about the Web site Tom… Keep us posted on your progress… and if you decide on software.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 22, 2004
Ken thanks you too. I am glad that something I’ve done over the past decades can be handed along and serve a useful purpose. There is enough entwined in the process of job management that I could easily write a book on the subject. I won’t be doing that, but I will tell you where I am with the process today – there have been some improvements added on.

Use Filemaker Pro to list the same info (the four basic items) that goes along the top of the job ticket: Job#, Client, Description, Date. This has been fantastic: The boss and management are held in limbo with their jaws dropped open when I am able to pull up projects in a few seconds based on their loose remembrance of "I need something that was an ad we did about 3 years ago and ran art of a vendor logo" (my job description is brief, but includes pertinent info, like that vendor’s name, all in 10 words or less.) Having the job number, I can simply go to the file, archived on CD, CD has the job number on the front (Job files are named only the ‘job number’) and pull out the logo in a flash.

Go for streamlining what you do, you will surely come up with innovations as you go along that will be something we will want to know about too.
TG
Tom_Grieve
Jul 22, 2004
I’m awake after catching a nap after printing all nite (see "experts needed" post)…

I will read print these out and read today. Thanks for all the help. And yes – I can most definitely use this in conjuction with an accounting package.

tg
L
LarsKohler
Aug 5, 2004
Try TimeSliceX for Mac
AW
Allen_Wicks
Aug 5, 2004
One thing I suggest is not to use just a number to describe jobs. It is too easy to transpose, etc. Basically a short "Job Name" should always follow the job number: e.g. "#2407 Del Monte San Jose." Folders, tickets, etc. always get the alpha cue following the number.

On the database side (I use Filemaker) the job number data type should be a "number" and "unique." Any layout should always place the "Job Name" immediately following the "Job Number," again for appropriate mental cueing to minimize errors.

The timing of this thread is propitious. I am helping a client set up a new design business, and finding that the evolution of software (FMP v7, Quickbooks v6, TimeSlips dropping the Mac) and imagery (SLR digicams, email transmittals as a major way of doing business, etc.) it is time to think outside the box: WE CAN DO BETTER!

My old FM databases were state of the art in the 80s and gave me a leg up on competitors. It is 2004 now and I think that among us we should be able to come up with a new state-of-the-art.

Hard copies, Job Numbers, folders/envelopes, etc. will of course remain part of a truly modern workflow. However I think we can create modern ways to do things like integrating QuickBooks with FileMaker, email records into the database, etc.

Any and all outside-the-box reflections will be appreciated!
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Aug 5, 2004
Another useful tool to track the time spent on an image is… photoshop! Pierre Courtejoie "software thats time how long you have worked on a job" 7/31/04 5:23pm </cgi-bin/webx?13/3>

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections