ST
Posted By
steve_t._foss
Jul 19, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m running OSX 10.3 on a G4 with CS. Installed OSX upgrade, then installed new CS. I can download Canon raw images to the computer just fine, but CS won’t open them.

When I try to open in several different ways, the RAW images are grayed out on the menu. And when select "all files" instead of "all readable files," it asks me to specify size and some other details, and they never turn out right, so I get a field of speckled gray when the "image" opens.

It’s my understanding that CS was specifically designed to handle RAW, so what the **** is the problem?

Anyone got help?

S

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
Ram
Jul 19, 2004
The ******* problem may very well be you.

Did you upgrade to the ACR 2.2 plug-in? (ACR = Adobe Camera Raw) Did you install it properly? It’s a free download for CS.
ST
steve_t._foss
Jul 20, 2004
Yes, I downloaded 2.2 and followed the installation instructions. However, such an installation was superfluous, because the Rebel already was supported by a previous plug-in version. Nevertheless, I did it. Made no difference.

Any suggestions, anyone else?

Thanks,

Steve

P.S. — Image ready had been opening RAW files, allowing me to alter the "development" and other balances, then converting them to PSDs, which I could then open in CS and covert to CSRAW. It was an extra step that shouldn’t have been necessary, but at least I could get at a RAW that way. Now, even Image Ready won’t recognize CRWs as readable.
R
Ram
Jul 20, 2004
You could try posting in the Adobe Camera Raw section of the forum. The creator of ACR is active over there. Maybe your problem has even been already addressed there.

<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.1de806fd>

Just don’t get them upset with asterisks, exclamation points, all caps or abusive language. You’ll get an answer soon enough.
CC
Chris_Cox
Jul 20, 2004
Check "about plugins" to make sure Camera RAW is loading correctly.

It sounds like you have Photoshop looking in the wrong place for plugins, or you have moved the plugins (which amounts to the same thing).
DM
David_Maurand
Jul 20, 2004
Another thing to check – you should be trying to open from the hard drive. Opening from a CF reader causes problems, and the dReb’s onboard peer-to-peer communications are notoriously flaky.

(BTW I have the exact same set up as you and I have no difficulty converting RAW, so it probably has something to do with your configuration. If you still have the ACR 2.2 installer pkg you might try re-installing. Mine is in Applications > Photoshop CS > Plug-ins > File Formats. I load the RAW from the file browser….but that’s another adventure.)

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections