T
Posted By
traction
Oct 5, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Just bought a canon 5D ( 12.7MPix) which gives an image size of 4368×2912 pixels, in JPG format. When I open in Photoshop CS and then try to save as a PICT file- picking the option of 32bits/pixel, it gives an error message of ‘ Exceeds Max width for a PICT file.’… previously I had a 6.3Mpix camera, and a max size of 3072×2048 pix and the error never happened. I know I could reduce the size of the new images, ( I tried it!) but that’s a bit defeatist to use a 12.7MP camera for 6.3Mpix images.. Can anyone shed any light why the error message appears. I’ve tried to Google for ‘PICT file max size ‘ etc but not come up with any reason for the limits.. Thanks

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

MH
Mike Hyndman
Oct 5, 2005
"traction" wrote in message
Just bought a canon 5D ( 12.7MPix) which gives an image size of 4368×2912 pixels, in JPG format. When I open in Photoshop CS and then try to save as a PICT file- picking the option of 32bits/pixel, it gives an error message of ‘ Exceeds Max width for a PICT file.’… previously I had a 6.3Mpix camera, and a max size of 3072×2048 pix and the error never happened. I know I could reduce the size of the new images, ( I tried it!) but that’s a bit defeatist to use a 12.7MP camera for 6.3Mpix images.. Can anyone shed any light why the error message appears. I’ve tried to Google for ‘PICT file max size ‘ etc but not come up with any reason for the limits.. Thanks
I read somewhere, can’t remember where that a Pict file has a maximum width of 4096 at16 bit.
As this is a Mac format file , you may get a better response from a mac user NG.

HTH
MH
T
traction
Oct 5, 2005
I read somewhere, can’t remember where that a Pict file has a maximum width
of 4096 at16 bit.
As this is a Mac format file , you may get a better response from a mac user NG.
Thanks for that- that makes sense now
MH
Mike Hyndman
Oct 5, 2005
"traction" wrote in message
I read somewhere, can’t remember where that a Pict file has a maximum width
of 4096 at16 bit.
Thanks for that- that makes sense now

BTW, Nice camera 😎

MH
T
traction
Oct 5, 2005
BTW, Nice camera 😎
I agree- its a huge leap forward from an EOS300D for me- but its fantastic to use…The images in low light levels are very very impressive, and hand held night shots, because of its balance and weight , are so easy to get right..
W
Waldo
Oct 6, 2005
traction wrote:

Why are you saving in PICT actually? Mabye TIFF or PSD is an altnative…

Waldo
T
traction
Oct 6, 2005
Not me saving them actually, but a magazine , who use Mac’s , and to whom I sent them for publication. Haven’t a clue why they use PICT files, except they said they couldn’t use files from my new camera because of this problem…personally I would always use TIFF, but they can’t handle those (!!) preferring to receive files by email in JPG form, which they then convert to PICT for producing a ‘layout’ and ‘design’ – then the whole lot , both PICT and JPG is sent to the publishers… All seems very longwinded, but most of it is probably historical, ‘that’s the way we did it with slides, so we just adapted for digital’……
W
Waldo
Oct 6, 2005
traction wrote:

Not me saving them actually, but a magazine , who use Mac’s , and to whom I sent them for publication. Haven’t a clue why they use PICT files, except they said they couldn’t use files from my new camera because of this problem…personally I would always use TIFF, but they can’t handle those (!!) preferring to receive files by email in JPG form, which they then convert to PICT for producing a ‘layout’ and ‘design’ – then the whole lot , both PICT and JPG is sent to the publishers… All seems very longwinded, but most of it is probably historical, ‘that’s the way we did it with slides, so we just adapted for digital’……

Hmmm, weird. Well, maybe they use legacy/home-made software for producing their DTP work that cannot handle TIFF. Anyway, if you crop the images a bit, your files will be within the limits of the PICT format, that also solves your problem.

Waldo

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections