Maximum number of layers in a single .psd file?

WC
Posted By
Warren_Chi
Jan 22, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know the maximum number of layers that you can have in one .psd file in Photoshop 7? I can remember that in an older version (5.5 I think?), it used to be 100.

I’ve got one file right now with about 318 layers so it’s somewhere between 318 and infinity. Any guesses?

Also, a somewhat related question, what’s the maximum number of channels you can have in one .psd file? I max out at 25 (including RGB, Red, Green, & Blue).

BTW, running Photoshop 7 on Windows XP.

Thanks!

-Warren

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Jan 22, 2004
Hi Warren,

I dont believe there is a maximum in Photoshop 7. The amount of layers you can have depends on your machine spec, RAM, scratchdisk etcetera.

I thought the same applied to channels, but maybe not.
TM
Thomas_Madsen
Jan 22, 2004
Does anyone know the maximum number of layers that you can have in one .psd file in Photoshop 7?

< http://www.google.com/groups?&as_umsgid=2ccdcf21.3@webx. la2eafNXanI>

Regards
Madsen.
WC
Warren_Chi
Jan 22, 2004
Cool! Whether it’s 8000 or more, my needs are more than met. I actually got one file to go up to 1,585 layers this afternoon . . . but I stopped before I attempted my target of 2,400 or so.

As for the channels thing, yeah that’s a sad situation. I’d love to have access to them for my actions. Oh well.

Now if only Adobe would create guide sets, then I’d be a happy man.

Thanks for the help guys!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections