What is maximum 8bit RGB tiff file size for CS2?

K
Posted By
KenBrown
Jul 23, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
What is the maximum uncompressed tiff file size Photoshop CS2 (vs 9.0.2) will handle both in pixels and megs?
I often use CS2 to adjust aerial photos in the 500 to 600 meg range and need to know if it will handle larger files in the 1500 meg range (1.5 GB). Each 8 bit RGB color file would be approximately 16200 x 16200 pixels for a total of 262,440,000 pixels.
Operating system is XP Pro SR2.
Ken Brown

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

PF
Peter_Figen
Jul 23, 2007
I believe that TIFF has a 4 gig limit and CS2 has a 300,000 pixel per axis limit as well. You should have no problems, unless you have a lot of layers that kick your file size up, in which case, you can always use psb files.
RB
Robert_Barnett
Jul 25, 2007
wrote in message
I believe that TIFF has a 4 gig limit and CS2 has a 300,000 pixel per axis limit as well. You should have no problems, unless you have a lot of layers that kick your file size up, in which case, you can always use psb files.

But, is that 300,000 pixel per axis limit for all formats or just the PSB format that was added in CS2 to deal with super large images. If the 300,000 pixels is for the PSB limit only then TIF would be limited to the old limit of 30,000 pixels per axis which means he should still be ok unless the file size is over the 4GB limit.

Robert
B
Bernie
Jul 26, 2007
Photoshop is not the only limiting factor here. OSs also have a maximum file size. As do most file formats (and those limits are not necesarily related to Photoshop’s or the OS’s)
K
KenBrown
Jul 26, 2007
Thanks Peter,
A few days after I posted the message, I talked to an aerial photo company and you are correct. They often use Photoshop to adjust images in the one to two gig range and also said the limit is four gigs due to XP.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Jul 27, 2007
The maximum file size in XP is waaay bigger than that. I have a 96 GB uncompressed video file on my computer. (Don’t ask!) I think the max is in the terabytes range.
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 27, 2007
file system limitations (by os) here:

<http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm>

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections