Is there a maximum file size for adobe image ready?

DM
Posted By
Dave_Marden
May 5, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am running a pentium IV 2.8 Ghz computer with 512 MB of ram and for some reason when I am working on my file and switch to Image Ready it says that my file exceeds 40 MB, but the thing is that this file is actually 5.6 MB. Why does it think it is 40MB? Is this a common problem? I am using an academic version of Photoshop CS, but from what I understand there is no difference the academic and regular versions of this software.

Dave Marden

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

L
LenHewitt
May 5, 2005
Dave,

Is that 5.6 Mbytes on disk or in memory? A JPEG that is 5.6Megs on disk can be easily over 40 megs when opened.
DM
Dave_Marden
May 5, 2005
It is 5.6 Mb on disk, this image is only 700*560, I do however have about 33 rollover effects going on. Something else I should tell you is that I have quite a few layers, maybe 100, also I have put all the images into folders for better management. I have probably a total of about 40 folders, many of which are folders inside of folders.

How would I go about finding out the size my file is when opened?

Thanks,
Dave Marden
TK
Trista_K
May 5, 2005
Dave,

In Photoshop, with the document open, look at the Status Bar. Make sure "Document Sizes" is selected. The number behind the "/" is the document size when open (including all layers).

Trista
DM
Dave_Marden
May 6, 2005
yes it does show 42.6, but that seems very large for my file. What causes the file to be so large? Is there any tricks to making my file smaller? Just import smaller jpg files for my layers?

Dave
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
May 6, 2005
Dave,

Importing smaller jpg files for layers won’t affect things much, unless the content of the image itself fill less of the layer. Basically, depending upon the content, each layer added to a file will increase it’s size noticeably. If you duplicated your primary image layer, the image would be double in size because you are essentially turning your image file into an "image container" so to speak of two identical images. If you cut away half of the duplicate layer, you’d see the size reduce noticeably although not by 1/4 as you might guess. I just duplicated a 500KB layer to yield a 1MB file. Cutting away half the layer reduced the file size only by about 150KB. Cutting away all but perhaps 5% or so didn’t affect the size any more than reducing to about 750KB. So, just the layer architecture itself requires a good amount of space.

Keep in mind also that each jpg will be decompressed when you open it, and that could easily mean a factor of 10 increase in size for that image alone.

In the end, if you save the image to a layered TIFF or PSD format and then flatten it and save that version to another file, you’ll find the flattened file is closer to the size you’re likely expecting.

Hope that helps,

Daryl

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections