ST
Posted By
Shirley_Trujillo
Jul 9, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is there a way to import a working clipping path created in Photoshop into InDesign?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

B
Buko
Jul 9, 2004
You don’t really need a clipping path in IDCS just place a PSD or tiff with a transparent background.

I do make pathes in Photoshop but I use them for text wrap in ID.
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Jul 9, 2004
You could use a path if you want to trap a Pantone background around a silhouetted process picture. I’d export the clipping path to Illustrator to make its stroke overprint.

I’m pretty sure this can work in InDesign (but I never used it).
CC
Conrad_Chavez
Jul 11, 2004
Yes, it should work just fine. To control it, when placing the document into InDesign, check Import Options to display the Apply Photoshop Clipping Path option. And there is an Object > Clipping Path command in InDesign, where you can turn the use of the built-in clipping path on or off.

If you haven’t drawn a clipping path yet, it’s probably easier just to use transparency, but I’m sure there are many people out there using graphics from existing libraries where the clipping paths were added long ago.
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Jul 11, 2004
It’s easy to edit a path, harder to edit a mask, hardest (sometimes impossible) a deleted background.
B
Buko
Jul 11, 2004
I would take the file with a clipping path.

dupe the layer with the image I want.

using the clipping path, delete the background from the duped layer.

Now, turn off the clipping path and the background layer.

save as PSD.

Place in ID
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Jul 11, 2004
…. you may have just doubled the size of a 2GB file : )
B
Buko
Jul 11, 2004
… you may have just doubled the size of a 2GB file : )

So?

Hard drive space is cheap.
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Jul 11, 2004
So,.. not only you preach for low quality, but inefficient workflow as well : )

(Clipping paths are superior to most masks; small files work faster)
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 11, 2004
Clipping paths are ONLY superior to masks if you need hard vectored edges to your image, or you need a path to use for trapping.

Of course, those that are still toiling in the Quark Ages have no choice although sharpening their flint axes might provide a sharper image.
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Jul 11, 2004
Ann, The main reason why paths are superior to masks is their editability. Trust me, I know masks and paths!

I’m not advocating for Quark, but my printing is better than yours : )
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 11, 2004
Depending on the shape and effect required one may often start with a path; make a selection and mask; and blur the edges of the mask.

It depends on what effect you want to achieve. InDesign lets you choose — QXP doesn’t.
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Jul 11, 2004
Ann, If I say that I’ve been making masks since you were a baby, I may be wrong, but not by much : )
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 11, 2004
Actually you are "wronger" than you can possibly imagine and, although I am flattered that you could think so, I don’t intend to enlighten you…

:~}

[Hint: Did you ever make a USM? A REAL one ?!!!!]
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Jul 11, 2004
I’ll show you mine if you show me yours : )

Just kidding Ann.

I’ve learned color separations on a 72" horizontal Robertson with glass halftone screen. (You bet I made film masks! : )

…. but take a look at some of the masks on my site:
<http://www.retouching.com/index.html>

Top right is a channel chops mask, next down is a mask made from a path and the last is a touch plate (for gold ink).

The small images are buttons, the larger ones are rollovers.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 12, 2004
Nice, nice work LT.

Now just think how luxurious you would find it to be able to use those beautifully masked images directly in a page-layout program?

Do get to know InDesign — you would be in for a treat.
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Jul 12, 2004
I’m planning to.
(thanks!)

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections