Posted By
rob_rw_west
Aug 2, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello

Please can someone help? Placing an image in InDesign layout it comes as huge pixels rather than the image, though pic looks normal in Photoshop & size equates to what I have asked. I think something must be ticked by mistake but can’t see what it is

Many thanks for any suggestions!

Rob

Am using Windows XP, Adobe CS3

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

P
Phosphor
Aug 2, 2008
What’s the resolution of the Photoshop file? Check Image Size.

If it’s very low, change it WITHOUT Resampling. 300 ppi is a good start, depending.
RR
rob_rw_west
Aug 2, 2008
Thank you.

I’ve been scanning at 300 dpi to bring into Photoshop as psd (an original image of about 10 x 8 ins) – the width x height equivalent pixel dimensions in ‘image size’ come out I think correctly at about 2106 x 2910

but the ‘document size’ rather than reflecting original size is always 275.591 x 380.802 ins – resolution is 7.642 in/pixels

(If I change it the image comes out far too small)

All the boxes below are ticked (scale styles, constrain proportions, resample image)

Below is ‘Bicubic sharper (best for reduction)’

I think it must be an automatic link between scan size & document size but can’t see where it is. Am sure this must be a simple question, its never happened before but think I must have ticked or unticked some box by mistake.
BL
Bob Levine
Aug 2, 2008
InDesign is showing exactly what you’ve got. Unlike Photoshop it reads the physical dimensions, not the pixel dimension

You need to resave in Photoshop at 300 ppi (or thereabouts) with resample image disabled.

Bob
S
Silkrooster
Aug 2, 2008
You actually have a couple of choices. One is to resize in photoshop like said above but make sure resample is turned off like Ed had said. Leaving it checked will effect the number of pixels reducing the quality of the image.
The other option is to just scale the image in InDesign. The image is normally placed at 100% like Robert said. Typing in the correct image size in the top tool bar will increase the ppi of an image. Using this option will not effect the number of pixels.
If you go the photoshop route, when placing the image in InDesign you can verify the image is at 100% by using the direct sletion tool and selecting the image. The percentage will be shown in the top tool bar.
RR
rob_rw_west
Aug 4, 2008
Thank you very much Bob & Silkrooster – I think I was trying to copy over too fast without saving first & somehow also ticked the resample box. (Had tried to scale in InDesign but it was just too big) … thank you for all the info which helps a lot

Rob

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections