mike_lumumba
Jun 8, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have PS CS and PS 7.

And yet I have real dumb question……

Let’s say that I have the original file, and it’s a JPG; however, if I would like to work with an original JPG image do I work with the orignal one and then save it as PSD or whatever?

or

Do I make a duplicate from the original one, then work on that image?

On either case how much would I be loosing on those images? What do you suggest?

I have tons of images and would like to work on each one to work on a project.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

C
chrisjbirchall
Jun 8, 2005
* Open your Jpeg
* Do a "Save As" into a new folder and specify PSD or TIFF * Work on the image
* Save and Close.

Your original Jpeg will remain in its unaltered orginal form.

Always save your files as PSDs or TIFFs. Jpeg is a "lossy" format which results in a reduction in quality every time you save.

Hope this helps.

Chris.
ML
mike_lumumba
Jun 8, 2005
Thanks Chris,

So what you are telling me is that go ahead make a duplicate copy of the orig JPG file, work with it and then save as PSD OR TIFF, and leave the original untouched, and do this every time that I need to create a new project from any original JPG image.

What about if I would like to move or copy (batch() a large number of original JPG images, would I be loosing a lot by moving them to another location?
P
Phosphor
Jun 8, 2005
It’s "lose" or "losing."

The second "o" is spelling it wroooong.

<petpeevemode="off>
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 8, 2005
The second "o" is spelling it wroooong.

unless you’re setting it free…
TI
Thomas_Ireland
Jun 8, 2005
Better yet, when you open the file save it immediately as a TIFF. The duplicate the TIFF and work on the copy.

This way you have not damaged you JPG file or the original TIFF file.
DM
Don_McCahill
Jun 8, 2005
Now that the spelling class is over, we should answer the question in message 2.

Yes, you can move jpg files to another location without any loss of quality. It is only in the act of saving that the compression happens which results in additional loss of quality.
JO
Jim_Oblak
Jun 8, 2005
by moving them to another location?

Moving files on a computer does not cause loss of image quality.

When a JPG file is opened in Photoshop, it is uncompressed. You do your edits. You resave the file and Photoshop recompresses the JPG. The recompression is where image quality loss happens.
P
Phosphor
Jun 8, 2005
If one encounters a lot of files that are originally provided as JPEGs (from another user, or maybe that’s the format your digital camera outputs) it might be wise to create a droplet that changes ALL of these JPEGs to either TIFF or PSD straightway. Then, make the small modification to your workflow so that the very first thing you do with these JPEGs is to convert them to one of those formats.

Except for a saving a little bit of hard drive space—which is quite cheap these days— there’s no real good reason to keep original JPEGs at all.
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 8, 2005
as soon as i copy my jpgs (which my camera produces) over to the hard drive, i immediately write protect them. select all, select properties, check the "read only" box.

that way you NEVER overwrite the originals. if you try you get a stern warning that the file is read-only and that reminds you to save as a new format/filename.
ML
mike_lumumba
Jun 8, 2005
Thanks guys I really appreciate all the suggestions, and for the English teacher do you place the toilet paper with the fold in or out? Right hand or left hand I wonder you better watch you how you use your hand the next time you put something in your mouth
P
Phosphor
Jun 8, 2005
At least I know how to write, D.B.
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 9, 2005
some people can’t take constructive critisism. write like that at work often enough and you might loose your job! 🙂
J
johntolliday
Jun 9, 2005
Good one mike LOL
JO
Jim_Oblak
Jun 9, 2005
and for the English teacher do you place the toilet paper with the fold in or out? Right hand or left hand I wonder you better watch you how you use your hand the next time you put something in your mouth

If English is a second language to you, you are welcome to post in your native tongue. Some of us that are bi-lingual should be able to help better than trying to decipher your odd English.

there’s no real good reason to keep original JPEGs at all.

I would disagree. There is a good reason to keep original files in whatever format they were originally created. Depending on what conversion software that you use, converting may lose important info such as EXIF data saved by the camera. Just remember that any edits you do to an image should immediately be saved in a non-lossy image format, such as TIFF or PSD.

As cheap as storage is compared to years past, it is still not free.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections