Posted By
Nicholas Sherlock
Oct 4, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hey all,

I’m trying to make semi-transparent images for use inside a game that I’m making. I can’t seem to get photoshop to export a 32bit bitmap with transparency information in one of the channels (Ie. 256 shades of opacity). It doesn’t seem to be capable of exporting TGA images with transparency information either. What am I doing wrong? Is there a plugin available to add this very basic functionality to PhotoShop? Gif or PNG is not an option here.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

S
Sean
Oct 4, 2004
On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 19:56:00 +1300, "Nicholas Sherlock" reverently intoned upon the aether:

Hey all,

I’m trying to make semi-transparent images for use inside a game that I’m making. I can’t seem to get photoshop to export a 32bit bitmap with transparency information in one of the channels (Ie. 256 shades of opacity). It doesn’t seem to be capable of exporting TGA images with transparency information either. What am I doing wrong? Is there a plugin available to add this very basic functionality to PhotoShop? Gif or PNG is not an option here.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

You should be able to write TIFFs with alpha channels so you might explore that option.

just a thought,

Sean

"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

– Martin Luther King Jr. (1929-1968)

Photo Archive @ http://www.tearnet.com/Sean
Last Updated 29 Sept. 2004
NS
Nicholas Sherlock
Oct 4, 2004
Sean wrote:
On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 19:56:00 +1300, "Nicholas Sherlock" reverently intoned upon the aether:

Hey all,

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

You should be able to write TIFFs with alpha channels so you might explore that option.

Thanks, but I can only really import BMPs and TGAs into my application. PNGs are too messy for me as they require an extra conversion before the engine can use them and I have no facility for TIFF import.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock
B
bogus
Oct 4, 2004
Check the specifications for BMP and TGA. I don’t think they support 256 shades of transparency. If so, you are on mission impossible.

I have been able to make PCX files with only color set as transparent for a game programmer. Makes it difficult to use transparency. On trick is to put the image on the same color background. That way the fringe pixels match the color of the background you place them into.

Nicholas Sherlock wrote:

Sean wrote:

Hey all,

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Thanks, but I can only really import BMPs and TGAs into my application. PNGs are too messy for me as they require an extra conversion before the engine can use them and I have no facility for TIFF import.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

J
jenelisepasceci
Oct 4, 2004
"Nicholas Sherlock" wrote:

Hey all,

Photoshop CS will export TGA-Files with an alpha channel, BTDT. When the people at

http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/Adding_Alpha_Channel_To_TG A_Files

are right, there was a bug in the PS 7.0 TGA export filter which was fixed in 7.01

Peter
T
tacitr
Oct 4, 2004
I’m trying to make semi-transparent images for use inside a game that I’m making. I can’t seem to get photoshop to export a 32bit bitmap with transparency information in one of the channels (Ie. 256 shades of opacity).

Here is what you do:

Create your image as RGB.

Load the transparency as a selection.

Save the transparency as an alpha channel.

Save in TGA format.

Art, literature, shareware, polyamory, kink, and more:
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
NS
Nicholas Sherlock
Oct 4, 2004
Tacit wrote:
I’m trying to make semi-transparent images for use inside a game that I’m making. I can’t seem to get photoshop to export a 32bit bitmap with transparency information in one of the channels (Ie. 256 shades of opacity).

Here is what you do:

Create your image as RGB.

Load the transparency as a selection.

Save the transparency as an alpha channel.

Save in TGA format.

Thanks, that works perfectly. I’m also applying to Adobe for free access to the SDK, so if anyone is interested in bitmap with transparency support, I’ll (hopefully) soon have it available.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock
CC
Chris Cox
Oct 11, 2004
Bitmap (which is black and white only) or BMP ?
Those aren’t the same.

And the BMP file format doesn’t support transparency – just an arbitrary alpha channel.

Chris

In article <cjqs5u$aof$>, Nicholas Sherlock
wrote:

Hey all,

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections