Crop Tool Not Working in Photoshop (not dragging over to image)

X
Posted By
xtx99
Feb 17, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I made an earlier post and it was suggested I use the Crop tool to designate specific photo sizes so that I could completely fill my photopaper (and thus requiring that part of the nonproportional original image be cropped away). Until now, I’ve only used the manual features of the Crop tool. Unfortunately, the Crop tool doesn’t seem to work for making specific photo sizes (4 X 6, 5 X
7). When I click on the Crop tool icon and drag it over to the photo I’m
working on a dotted line "should" appear on my image showing the area that I selected. Instead, nothing happens when I drag the crop tool icon to the photo. Therefore, I cannot define the cropping frame. Also, I can’t seem to get to the "Options bar" of the Crop tool even by hitting shift alt and control. I’ve clicked "Clear" on my Crop toolbar but that hasn’t helped. Perhaps something is wrong in the way I have Photoshop setup in my Windows XP? Maybe I inadvertently turned off part of the cropping tool which would allow me to make specific crop sizes? Or perhaps I’m just an idiot and am not using a simple dragging feature correctly or I’m ignoring the obvious. I haven’t found any solutions in my manual or in previous posts. Any suggestions are appreciated.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JC
James Connell
Feb 17, 2004
Xtx99 wrote:
I made an earlier post and it was suggested I use the Crop tool to designate specific photo sizes so that I could completely fill my photopaper (and thus requiring that part of the nonproportional original image be cropped away). Until now, I’ve only used the manual features of the Crop tool. Unfortunately, the Crop tool doesn’t seem to work for making specific photo sizes (4 X 6, 5 X
7). When I click on the Crop tool icon and drag it over to the photo I’m
working on a dotted line "should" appear on my image showing the area that I selected. Instead, nothing happens when I drag the crop tool icon to the photo. Therefore, I cannot define the cropping frame. Also, I can’t seem to get to the "Options bar" of the Crop tool even by hitting shift alt and control. I’ve clicked "Clear" on my Crop toolbar but that hasn’t helped. Perhaps something is wrong in the way I have Photoshop setup in my Windows XP? Maybe I inadvertently turned off part of the cropping tool which would allow me to make specific crop sizes? Or perhaps I’m just an idiot and am not using a simple dragging feature correctly or I’m ignoring the obvious. I haven’t found any solutions in my manual or in previous posts. Any suggestions are appreciated.

try clicking on the crop tool icon then, After releasing the mouse button, go to the pix and click and drag. see the tool bar "Height" and "Width" and "Resolution" boxes for the sizes.
DC
Doug Chaplin
Feb 17, 2004
"Xtx99" wrote in message
I made an earlier post and it was suggested I use the Crop tool to
designate
specific photo sizes so that I could completely fill my photopaper (and
thus
requiring that part of the nonproportional original image be cropped
away).
Until now, I’ve only used the manual features of the Crop tool.
Unfortunately,
the Crop tool doesn’t seem to work for making specific photo sizes (4 X 6,
5 X
7). When I click on the Crop tool icon and drag it over to the photo I’m working on a dotted line "should" appear on my image showing the area that
I
selected.

Put the settings you want in the option bar (or use a drop down preset. Drag out a crop area, which will snap to the dimesnions you input. Move the pointer inside the crop area, and move it until it covers the right part of the image. Double click.
That works on my images and setup (Photoshop CS on Windows XP Pro).

Doug
G
Glenn
Feb 18, 2004
Look at this tutorial
http://www.digital-tutors.com/digital_tutors/display_video_t est.php?videoX=37

Now notice that when he clicks the Crop Tool the tools bar is shown, now put in the values do not drag until the values have been placed into the tool bar. If you start to drag you can not put the values in. Also make sure your whole image is visible for cropping.

1. Load image -> View ->Fit on Screen
2. Setup printer and Paper (Saves adjustments later)
3. Click Crop tool
4. Set paper size on the Crop toolbar
5. Crop
6. Print with Preview

Glenn

"Xtx99" wrote in message
I made an earlier post and it was suggested I use the Crop tool to
designate
specific photo sizes so that I could completely fill my photopaper (and
thus
requiring that part of the nonproportional original image be cropped
away).
Until now, I’ve only used the manual features of the Crop tool.
Unfortunately,
the Crop tool doesn’t seem to work for making specific photo sizes (4 X 6,
5 X
7). When I click on the Crop tool icon and drag it over to the photo I’m working on a dotted line "should" appear on my image showing the area that
I
selected. Instead, nothing happens when I drag the crop tool icon to the photo. Therefore, I cannot define the cropping frame. Also, I can’t seem
to
get to the "Options bar" of the Crop tool even by hitting shift alt and control. I’ve clicked "Clear" on my Crop toolbar but that hasn’t helped. Perhaps something is wrong in the way I have Photoshop setup in my Windows
XP?
Maybe I inadvertently turned off part of the cropping tool which would
allow me
to make specific crop sizes? Or perhaps I’m just an idiot and am not
using a
simple dragging feature correctly or I’m ignoring the obvious. I haven’t
found
any solutions in my manual or in previous posts. Any suggestions are appreciated.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections