HS
Posted By
Hania_Stadtler
Dec 8, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Can I carry my camera (Sony Cyber-shot DSC-v1) while running? I know to protect it from heat/cold and moisture, but will shaking, (especially running hard down hills) mess up the internal mechanism?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

MM
Michael Moody
Dec 8, 2003
Suggest you put an uncooked egg in your pocket and try that first. It should be a valid test.

wrote in message
Can I carry my camera (Sony Cyber-shot DSC-v1) while running? I know to
protect it from heat/cold and moisture, but will shaking, (especially running hard down hills) mess up the internal mechanism?
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 8, 2003
You should check with Sony on this. Since they were the ones to manufacture it, they’d be in a much better positon to assess how much shaking it will withstand. I doubt any of us here on the forum would want to enable you in putting it at risk! I know I sure wouldn’t, because what if I was wrong?! If it were me, I go by the old adage "when in doubt, don’t".
GD
Grant_Dixon
Dec 8, 2003
Hania

I will refrain from making jokes about having to use higher shutter speeds while jogging to avoid camera shakes … woops too late I just did.

I would hazard a guess that most digital cameras electronics can take a good deal of buffeting but in the case of the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-v1 and many other cameras with zoom lenses may have a problem. I would imagine the small motors that drive these system may not be all that stable with knocks. Of course this is just a thought not fact.

Grant
HS
Hania_Stadtler
Dec 8, 2003
I will contact Sony. Thank you very much for your prompt responses.

Hania
JC
Jane_Carter
Dec 9, 2003
I don’t jog with the camera for the reasons you have stated, I get out the old trusty bicycle. That is much smoother, no bouncing, and you travel much farther and see sooooo much more, especially at daybreak.
And you actually move quieter,
I have seen more wildlife on ‘wheels’ than on foot, unless I sit for periods of time without moving.
I just put the camera in its bag around my neck or waist, and off I go. If you are in an area that you cannot bike, do put the camera in a zip-loc bag and support it in one hand.
Jane
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 9, 2003
Jane, I’ve never jogged with my camera. Of course, I’ve never jogged…..

🙂

Chuck
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 9, 2003
And you know, JUST as I was considering taking it up, the orthopedic surgeon broke the bad news that I’d never be able to. Such a shame. 🙂
JC
Jane_Carter
Dec 9, 2003
Hi Chuck, Actually I don’t jog either, I just love to walk in the woods, along the beach, anywhere our dog, husband, and grandkids want to go. Jogging in my book is catching up with the kids, chasing the dog when she gets too close to a seagull, or something she wants to roll in or eat, or just chasing a ball that we couldn’t catch.
But an early morning bicycle ride is my cup of tea.
Jane
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 9, 2003
Jane, I think you have the prescription exactly right! And I’ll bet you have a cup of tea after that bicycle ride, don’t you?

🙂

Chuck
JC
Jane_Carter
Dec 9, 2003
Yes, plus cereal, toast, and an egg.

Did come across a den of foxes this summer, pushed the bike against a tree, sat down on the rocks on the little cliff, watched the babies(kits?) as they cavorted just beyond my feet. Then realized that I did not have the camera! But even if I had it, I would have had to reach for it and pull it from my case under my shirt, thus moving my arms, and the little foxes would have run away.
Jane
HS
Hania_Stadtler
Dec 9, 2003
Kinda hard to ride the bike on snow and ice. Such wonderful photo opportunities out on country roads with the early morning sun shining on the freshly fallen snow. Breathtaking. Just being there is such a treat – but catching it to admire over and over would be the ultimate. Do you guys/gals think a 35mm (Olympus Stylus Epic Zoom 80 Delux) could take the bouncing?

P.S. Add to it some hash browns, bacon and sausage. And lots of rich, thick cream in the coffee and maybe a dessert. (now I remember why I run)
GD
Grant_Dixon
Dec 9, 2003
My camera gear tips the scales at just over 20 lb including my tripod so I do not jog anywhere with it.

Grant
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 9, 2003
ah C’mon Grant, Jog on the wild side….just this once.
GD
Grant_Dixon
Dec 9, 2003
Jodi

ha ha ha ha just this once ha ha ha …ah my back ! stop !

Grant
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Dec 9, 2003
I was a jogger for over 30 years…ran marathons, the whole bit…until my knees said, "NO MORE!" But I agree with Hania that being out on a cool, crisp morning, jogging in a wooded area or park…it’s truly magical. And the wonderful feeling of well-being after a hot shower and hearty breakfast…all you non-joggers, you don’t know what you’re missing!
I still jog a little, but mostly I just walk and hike…at least 5 miles most days. We have wonderful parks around here, and the weather allows year-round outdoor activities.
Bert
EDIT: I never jogged with a camera, but I often take one with me on my walks.
JW
JP White
Dec 10, 2003
wrote:

Kinda hard to ride the bike on snow and ice. Such wonderful photo
opportunities out on country roads with the early morning sun shining on the freshly fallen snow. Breathtaking. Just being there is such a treat – but catching it to admire over and over would be the ultimate. Do you guys/gals think a 35mm (Olympus Stylus Epic Zoom 80 Delux) could take the bouncing?
P.S. Add to it some hash browns, bacon and sausage. And lots of rich,
thick cream in the coffee and maybe a dessert. (now I remember why I run)

I would suggest an inexpensive point and shoot digital that easily fits in a fanny pack. Ziploc to keep the rain out. Nikon make good quality but affordable Coolpix cameras, 3500 comes to mind.

Personally I wouldn’t jog with anything ‘attached’ it’s too cumbersome for me.

JP

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections