CW
Posted By
Colin_Woodbridge
May 11, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Somehow my daughter has screwed up her PC. Initially it would recognise her camera (Canon) and download the files but in the process convert them to TIFF. It was thought that this could be due to a Canon Twain driver that had recently been loaded.

Well I think I’ve screwed the PC even more. I removed what traces I could find of the Twain Driver and un-installed Elements and then re-installed. Now it says there is no device to connect to. Strangely in Preferences the Camera is indicated correctly but it also says it’s the scanner. I also have a choice of a scanner thats called something I don’t even have keys on my keyboard to type here.

Short of taking an Axe to it has anybody any ideas. Elements 3 on W2K.

Colin

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

CW
Colin_Walls
May 11, 2005
Can you see the camera as a "drive" in Windows Explorer?
N
narya
May 11, 2005
I removed what traces I could find of the Twain Driver

How did you do this? Through "Control Panel > Add/Remove Software" or by finding and deleting files/folders through Explorer?

Alexander.

Canon Ixus 430 (aka S410) | x86 with XP Pro | PSE v3.0.1 with 3k images | 12" Powerbook soon 🙂
CW
Colin_Woodbridge
May 11, 2005
Colin….

PC is off line at the moment but I’ll check later. FWIW: Card reader and Kodak camera work fine.

Alex…I uninstalled all the Canon stuff I could find and then renamed the TWAIN folder in the WINNT folder.

Colin #2
N
narya
May 11, 2005
and then renamed the TWAIN folder in the WINNT folder.

That last bit seems unnecessary, as it might render the use of scanners impossible.

But before anything else you should check if you can see the camera in "My Computer" as Colin W. enquired …
CW
Colin_Woodbridge
May 16, 2005
OK, we had another try this weekend. Camera does not appear in Explorer as a folder but does appear in the hardware when using the Hardware Manager.

Again I cleaned everything to do with Adobe and Canon off of the machine…even edited the Registry Entries and remove them.

Re-installed Elements….the Get Photos window pops up when the Camera is switched on but there’s no Camera to choose in the Get Photos From box. There is a blank line which if you choose, pops up the TWAIN interface but still doesn’t go any further.

Solution is she’s going to but a Card Reader which we know works.

Colin
CW
Colin Walls
May 16, 2005
There are many who feel that a card reader is a better solution anyway.
CW
Colin_Woodbridge
May 16, 2005
That includes me…I use nothing else…but my daughter doesn’t have one yet.

One of the things I teach to people is the advantages of using a Card Reader, one being that I frequently use a laptop and I’m paranoid about having the Camera and Computer connected and I forget and walk away. At last weeks class I was demonstrating how to download from my compact camera to the laptop directly because I’d forgotten my card reader. As the lesson finished I went to pack up my laptop and sure enough the camera crashed to the floor…….:-)

It survived fortunately. I’d made my case but had a certain amount of ‘egg on face’.

Colin
CW
Colin Walls
May 16, 2005
I guess the pros and cons of card reader vs camera are driven by your behaviour/style as much as anything.
JS
Jim_Solt
May 16, 2005
I hate replies like this, but I really recommend the use of a card reader — $20. You hardly ever read of problems like this, it doesn’t require you hooking up AC to the camera or wearing down the batteries, and it’s just plain easier.
No question about it — this is a cop out, but I really recommend it. Jim

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections