S
Posted By
stan
Nov 11, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Up until a few weeks ago, I owned a 4MP Minolta Dimage S414. While I owned that camera, I shot a wonderful photo of a tree against the background of a lake. I shot those photos during the summer season. I have since sold that Minolta and replaced it with a Canon Digital Rebel which is 6.3MP. Today, I returned to the lake with the tree and I shot some similar photographs to get the same scene, but with the fall colors.

The photos I shot today came out great. I now want to take one of my 6.3MP photos and place it onto a new PS7 document with one of the 4MP photos that I shot last summer to make a duplet, but I need to get both photos to be the exact same size. I have played with cropping and image resizing for an hour and I can’t seem to get both photos to be the same size.

I want the two photos to be at least 300 DPI for printing purposes and each photo needs to be small enough to fit on an 8.5" x 11" piece of paper with at least 1/4" between the two images. I also want to print in landscape orientation with the two photos oriented such that the longest side of each is vertical. How can I size these photos at the same DPI setting and the size height and width?

Thanks for any help that’s provided.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

XT
xalinai_Two
Nov 11, 2003
On 11 Nov 2003 04:13:17 GMT, wrote:

Up until a few weeks ago, I owned a 4MP Minolta Dimage S414. While I owned that camera, I shot a wonderful photo of a tree against the background of a lake. I shot those photos during the summer season. I have since sold that Minolta and replaced it with a Canon Digital Rebel which is 6.3MP. Today, I returned to the lake with the tree and I shot some similar photographs to get the same scene, but with the fall colors.
The photos I shot today came out great. I now want to take one of my 6.3MP photos and place it onto a new PS7 document with one of the 4MP photos that I shot last summer to make a duplet, but I need to get both photos to be the exact same size. I have played with cropping and image resizing for an hour and I can’t seem to get both photos to be the same size.

Afaik The Minolta images are 3:4 height width ratio (computer screen aspect ratio) while the Canon images are 2:3 ratio (35mm film aspect ratio) so you need to crop one of the images – either sideways for Canon images or top and bottom for Minolta images.

I want the two photos to be at least 300 DPI for printing purposes and each photo needs to be small enough to fit on an 8.5" x 11" piece of paper with at least 1/4" between the two images. I also want to print in landscape orientation with the two photos oriented such that the longest side of each is vertical. How can I size these photos at the same DPI setting and the size height and width?

If you want to print two images on each page (after cropping one format to the same aspect ration as the other) then assuming a <0.5" border around the images and between them, you can have images 4.75" high (top, bottom and border 0.5", 11-1.5=9.5, 9.5/2=4.75). Using the canon aspect ratio, the images should be 7.125" wide when placed one atop the other on a portrait page (The Canon images will come in >400 dpi then, while the 4MP images will have ~300dpi). Using the Minolta aspect ratio the images would be only 6.3" wide.

How about using some layout program and not touch the images at all?

If you want to print images on 8.5×11" and be 300dpi the same time, your images need to be 2550×3300 pixels – the canon images are almost there (leaving half an inch on both sides of a landscape image will put 3072 pixels on 10" paper, top and bottom margin will be 0.84") but 4MP images are somewhere between 2300 and 2400 pixels wide for 11" wide paper this results in 235 DPI, with the same 0.5"margin. You do not have enough pixels for 300 dpi and resampling to a bigger size will not improve your print results.

If you want to compare image quality, you shouldn’t resample but crop the larger images and compare untouched 1:1 parts of the images.

Michael

Thanks for any help that’s provided.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections