Posted By
jim_a_kew
Jun 14, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
hello
is it possible to import digital files direct into photoshop cs from a digital camera many thanks jim k

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

R
Ram
Jun 14, 2004
You can connect your camera to your Mac if the camera has a USB or FireWire connection and it will mount on your desktop as if it were just another drive. Better yet, use a card reader.
JA
jim_a_kew
Jun 14, 2004
yes i do use a card reader ramon and use iphoto to import the digital files into my mac i then open the copies from my pictures folder into photoshop for editing, just wondered if thre was a quicker way , but thanks for the response regards jim k
R
Ram
Jun 14, 2004
Jim,

Maybe my reply wasn’t as clear as I thought.

You can bypass iPhoto entirely. I never use it for anything. Just drag and copy the images to your hard drive in the Finder. This terminology about "importing" files "into an application" causes the confusion. All you’re doing is copying your file images from the CF card to the location (folder) of your choice on your hard drive. Then you can open them in any application that will recognize them. You’re not really "importing" anything.
R
Ram
Jun 14, 2004
Nothing could be faster, if you’re using a FireWire or USB 2 card reader.
BF
Bruce_Fraser
Jun 14, 2004
Opening files directly from the camera is a bad idea for a variety of reasons*, and it most certainly isn’t faster than using a FireWire or USB2 card reader.

* Drains the camera battery
* Runs the risk of the software you’re using to open the images writing to the card and destroying the format
* Runs a small but significant risk of USB power frying the camera * Slowest method known to mankind of getting images off a CF or SD card
R
Ram
Jun 14, 2004
What Bruce says.

I’ve stressed that a number of times here and in the Camera Raw section of the forum. Eventually I got tired of replying to posters that said they’d never heard of these issues.

Using a cable to connect the camera to a computer should always be considered a last resort and an undesirable one at that.

I’ll bookmark this thread so I can point posters to Bruce’s post here.
R
Ram
Jun 14, 2004
Jim,

Actually, at least from my perspective, you open your image files in or with Photoshop (not "into" Photoshop), and you’re just copying your image files to your hard drive; I don’t know when this "importing" business began to be used, maybe iPhoto did it.
JA
jim_a_kew
Jun 15, 2004
many thanks for that ramon as you say i do not need iphoto, i just tried your method and i can drag the folder directly into photoshop cs and then browse and edit them . as i said in my earlier post i don`t download from my camera but instead use a card reader. must admit i do this to conserve battery power in my oly c5050, i was not aware of the other reasons as given by bruce. i am a digital newbie so i will be browsing this forum regularily again many thanks for your help
regards jim k
B
Buko
Jun 15, 2004
Jim are you opening the files in Photoshop right off the flash card??

If so, don’t this is a bad Idea. instead copy the files to your hard drive then open them.

It is always best to burn your pics to a CD before ever doing anything to them.
JA
jim_a_kew
Jun 15, 2004
buko i remove the olympus sm card from my camera & load the digital files using a card reader i then double click the disc drive image on my desktop this reaveals a folder named DCIM i then drag this folder to my photoshop application folder ready for browsing, do you see any problems with this method( prior to this i used macs iphoto app) what media do you recommend for storage cd r or cd rw
regards jim k in sunny uk
B
Buko
Jun 15, 2004
i then double click the disc drive image on my desktop this reaveals a folder named DCIM i then drag this folder to my photoshop application folder ready for browsing, do you see any problems with this method.

Yes.

Copy the DCIM folder to your hard drive, then burn it to CD-R or DVD-R these images are now your negatives so to speak. If you open the pics from the flash card you can screw up all your images and not have any.

Before manipulating any digital images always copy them to your hard drive then burn the to media to archive them.
B
Buko
Jun 15, 2004
Remember when iPhoto imports the images it is copying the pics to your harddrive first then when you make a change it makes a copy leaving the original untouched.
JS
Jonny Shipman
Jun 15, 2004
anyway to have iPhoto delete all those unused originals?
B
Buko
Jun 15, 2004
Put them in the trash
AW
Allen_Wicks
Jun 15, 2004
Treat camera pix like any other file: [1] Copy them from the CF card to a folder on the hard drive after plugging the CF card into a CF card reader. [2] Verify that the files in the hard drive folder are a complete set of what is on the CF card. [3] Eject the CF card by dragging its icon to the trash, and remove it from the card reader. [4] Open, review, edit, etc. the pix in the folder using the image databasing and/or editing software of your choice (PS, PS Elements, iViewMediaPro, iPhoto, Cumulus, Portfolio, etc.), and back up the keepers by burning a CD or whatever. [5] Reformat the CF card in the camera.

Note that IMO iPhoto should _not_ be part of the above process prior to step 4, and not even then if the pix are to be used in a pro workflow. To me iPhoto is definitely a consumer grade app., and as such kludges up a pro workflow.
JS
Jonny Shipman
Jun 16, 2004
I know, I just use iPhoto for my general photos of family/friends. Any other reason I use Image Capture or, if the camera’s media mounts on my desktop, drag them to my hdd.

And Buko, I don’t want to delete the picture. iPhoto saves a duplicate photo anytime one edits a photo – I was wondering it there was a way to delete these duplicates, in iPhoto. Or can I safely search for "Originals" in Finder within the iPhoto Library dir and delete them all without it messing up my library?
JA
jim_a_kew
Jun 16, 2004
thanks for all the posts folk
Allen your method seems like my cup of tea, much less clutter, just one thing, i read a post on the photo net forum advising against reformatting cards after each use the suggestion was to only re-format new cards prior to first use???
JS
Jonny Shipman
Jun 16, 2004
I just manually drag my photos from the card to the trash and then empty the trash. That would work fine.
AW
Allen_Wicks
Jun 17, 2004
No. Reformat the card in camera. It is the fastest and best workflow. Card format can corrupt, and – in addition to being much faster – formatting each time avoids that.

Do _not_ use the computer to delete images from a card or to reformat a card.
BF
Bruce_Fraser
Jun 18, 2004
Pedantic addition to the above:

Format the card in the camera in which it will be used…
AW
Allen_Wicks
Jun 18, 2004
Good point to remember for folks with multiple cameras and multiple CF cards.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections