Is there an easyway to wrap text around a picture?

WF
Posted By
William_Furner
Jun 6, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve tried many different ways, but can’t seem to come up with the correct one.

Thanks for any help!

Bill

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 6, 2004
The easiest, and best, way to do this automatically is in a page layout program such as InDesign.
WF
William_Furner
Jun 6, 2004
Thanks Ann but I don’t have it.

I do have Pagemaker 6.5 (mac) but can’t do it in that either.

Bill
R
Ram
Jun 6, 2004
William,

Well, Photoshop is not a layout program.

You’re going to have to work around the text and page layout limitations of this graphics program. Try placing different text layers around your image.
WF
William_Furner
Jun 6, 2004
To: Ramon

Ya, probably In Design would be perfect for what I want to do.

Bill
R
Ram
Jun 6, 2004
Of course.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jun 6, 2004
Never used Pagemaker, but are you sure you can’t do it in Pagemaker 6.5? This tutorial (below) seems to indicate otherwise. Doesn’t say what version but I have a hard time believing that such a basic function would be missing from a page layout program.

< http://desktoppub.about.com/cs/pagemakertutorials/ht/pm_text wrap_g.htm>

There is also a Pagemaker Forum here on the Adobe site you can check if you can’t figure it out.
WF
William_Furner
Jun 6, 2004
To: Ed

In the tutorial that you gave me the link to, the tutorials has me select the graphic and then go to the menu and select text wrap but it is greyed out. Only when I select the document and nothing else can I see the text wrap option but that doen’st do anything to help me.

Thanks anyway

Bill
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jun 6, 2004
Like I said I don’t do Pagemaker, but doesn’t the tutorial say something about having to customize the Text Wrap thing first?

I’m sure they would know better on the PM forum. No way can this not be done in a layout program of any caliber.
R
Ram
Jun 6, 2004
Bill,

Ed is right. I haven’t used PageMaker in eons, but I used to do text wrap around images all the time in PageMaker 3.x or something.
WF
William_Furner
Jun 6, 2004
To: Ed and Ramon

Ya, I am almost starting to think I am feeble. But I am not that old yet I don’t think.

Bill
R
Ram
Jun 6, 2004
Post in the PageMaker forum, Bill. I bet they get you up and running in no time.

<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.ee6b340>
WF
William_Furner
Jun 6, 2004
To: Ramon

Thanks

Bill
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jun 6, 2004
To Bill

?

mo
J
jwood
Jun 7, 2004
William,

Check out this site, it may be some help.

<http://home.planet.nl/~avdree/page3.htm>

John
WF
William_Furner
Jun 7, 2004
To: John

Thanks but I am trying to get text to wrap around a picture. There doesn’t seem to be anything like that there.

Bill
B
Buko
Jun 7, 2004
Will place the picture in Pagemaker do not use it as an inline graphic now you can turn on text wrap in PM.
WF
William_Furner
Jun 7, 2004
To: Buko

I don’t know what an "inline graphic" is.

Thanks for posting

Bill
B
Buko
Jun 7, 2004
Inline graphic is when the image/graphic is placed as part of the text.

To wrap text in PM you need to place the image ( command D ) then apply the text wrap.

have you read the manual?? have bothered using the help files??
WF
William_Furner
Jun 7, 2004
To: Buko

Ya, but I have got to read it a little bit better I guess.

Bill
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jun 7, 2004
Lift me up were blind men see.
L
Larryr544
Jun 7, 2004
Text boxes and fine tuning it by hand is what I’ve done when I didn’t want to go to InDesign.
WF
William_Furner
Jun 7, 2004
To; Larry

True, I might have to resort to some creativity if I can’t do it the conventional method.

Bill
AW
Allen_Wicks
Jun 8, 2004
Actually PS can do a lot of page layout tasks very well. I suspect that it could be done in PS via text on a path with enough tweaking. However any page layout program makes much more sense, even if you are unfamiliar with the software.
DK
Doug_Katz
Jun 8, 2004
It can be done.

1. Make a path with the pen tool, not in the shape of the object you wish the text to wrap around, but in the shape that the text will take on when it’s appropriately wrapped.

2. Select the Type tool, place it within you path near the upper left of the shape, click and begin typing.
WF
William_Furner
Jun 9, 2004
To: Doug

Sounds like a plan. But I kind of lost you on the "1" thing.

Bill
R
Ram
Jun 9, 2004
Bill,

Maybe I misunderstood you.

Do you want the line of text to snake up, around, downward and sideways around an object (which is what Allen and Doug are suggesting), or (as I had thought) do you want a block of text (one or more paragraphs) to flow around an image on your page?
WF
William_Furner
Jun 9, 2004
To: Raymond

I would like to wrap text around an image, two or more paragraphs. Thanks

Bill
R
Ram
Jun 9, 2004
Ah, so I had construed your inquiry correctly from the beginning.

Then, my replies are applicable. 🙂
R
Ram
Jun 9, 2004
I need to amend a comment I made in error:

Do you want the line of text to snake up, around, downward and sideways around an object (which is what Allen and Doug are suggesting),

Actually, Allen was suggesting no such thing; only Doug was. Sorry. :")
WF
William_Furner
Jun 9, 2004
To: Raymon

Ya, what I did was. I was working with AI and couldn’t wrap text. But just found out that I used one continuous word like: lskdfldksfjlsdkfjlsdkfalsdkfasldkfaldskfjaldfkj
I didn’t realize that I should of put breaks in the the letters. Then things started to make sense.

Now I think I can get by with out trying to wrap text in PS.

Thanks for the help though.

Bill
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jun 9, 2004
Still far better off doing it in Pagemaker IMHO. You’re using a hammer as a screwdriver.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections