Printing text as a high quality picture… (X-post)

OS
Posted By
Oz_Springs
Nov 15, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a client with over 50 offices who has newly designed letterhead and other stationery in a beautiful font. The client does not want to buy the font (which is expensive) for all its users so wants the Word templates I am creating from the original artwork in Illustrator to have the headers and footers as pictures of the addresses and other company details.

I have done this before for letters that were to be emailed, not printed on paper, so the print quality did not matter so much. I created them as jpgs (though tifs look better on screen).

However, none of the pictures I have created for my current job of the addresses look at all professional for printing – I have gone through the whole gamut available in Illustrator and Photoshop, even trying bmps.

Does anyone know of a way of producing sharp high quality pictures of a couple of rows of formatted text, max size 8 point bold, smallest is 4 point. That is, pictures which print as sharp as the font does, or nearly so.

Don’t fall over laughing at this request (I am serious) though it may make your day for some of you.

TIA

Oz

PS I have cross-posted this to the Illustrator forum as well.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

DK
Doug_Katz
Nov 15, 2006
(check post in Illustrator forum.)
B
Buko
Nov 15, 2006
You can place a PDF in Word for Office 2004.
OS
Oz_Springs
Nov 16, 2006
Hi Buko
Thanks for this information. I have tried pdf but it had one of the worst results, though not as bad as bmp which gave me a distorted, huge square.

Should I be trying one of the alternatives for pdfs, for example one of the PDF/X things which I am not familiar with at all.

Thx

Oz
B
Buko
Nov 16, 2006
Well I don’t use Word Really, I checked to see if you could place a PDF in Word because a PDF will retain vectors. What exactly Word does to the PDF I do not know you may be stuck using an EPS. If word is rastering vector files it just maybe essential to buy the font.
PG
Pat_Gilmour
Nov 16, 2006
PDF/X is a ISO standard to which PDFs for certain types of output are expected to comply. It will not make your PDFs any better in Word.

Have you tried making a 300ppi TIFF or JPEG file that is exactly the correct width for the Word header – i.e don’t scale it all in Word. Or even PDF, but again without scaling?

Pat

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections