TR
Posted By
Tiffany_Royal
Jul 30, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi – I’m using CS2 Photoshop and InDesign.

I have a photograph of a bucket of crabs of which i’m trying to cut out a single crab to use as a standalone image and place in the middle of an article. Two questions:

which tool is appropriate to cut out my individual crab? (magnetic lasso? slice?)

How do i set it up (in Photoshop or InDesign) so when i place the image in InDesign, the text wraps around the edges of the crab, not the picture frame?

hope this makes sense. I’m new at this.

Thanks, Tiffany

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 30, 2007
Use The Pen Tool (outline and make the path a selection ) or Extract to cut out the image. Save it as transparent background psd and place in InDesign. Do your text and wrapping effect in InDesign, NOT in Photoshop.
JJ
John_Joslin
Jul 30, 2007
Have alook at this PDF <http://johnjoslin.co.uk/Uploads/Odd shaped text boxes.pdf>
TR
Tiffany_Royal
Jul 31, 2007
Um, I’m about to scream. I appreciate the help, but none of these things are working. Either I’m not getting it or I’m just not experienced yet enough in Photoshop with cutting out images, but it shouldn’t be this hard.

I just want to cut out the picture of the crab and create it so when i place it in InDesign, the text wraps around the funky edges of the crab, not the square picture frame.
JJ
John_Joslin
Jul 31, 2007
My answer was for Photoshop but, since you have InDesign, after cutting out the crab in Photoshop, do as Ed said and create the text wrap in InDesign.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 31, 2007
Perhaps we are not understanding what you mean by "wrapping text". It seems to me that the pdf that John provided makes it clear, unless you mean you want the text to follow a path around the edges? Is that it?

If so, it’s a little more complicated, but it can be done by making a Path and attaching the text to it. Look up Creating text on a path (Photoshop)in Help:

………………………………

You can enter type that flows along the edge of a work path created by a pen or a shape tool. For information on how to create a work path, see Creating a work path (Photoshop).

When you enter type along a path, it flows in the direction in which anchor points were added to the path. Entering horizontal type on a path results in letters that are perpendicular to the baseline. Entering vertical type on a path results in text orientation parallel to the baseline.

You can also move a path or change the shape of the path, and the type will conform to the new path location or shape.

To enter type along a path:

1. Do one of the following:
* Select the Horizontal Type tool Horizontal Type tool or the Vertical Type tool Vertical Type tool .
* Select the Horizontal Type Mask tool Horizontal Type Mask tool or the Vertical Type Mask tool Vertical Type Mask tool .
2. Position the pointer so the baseline indicator of the type tool Type tool is on the path and click. After clicking, an insertion point appears on the path.
The baseline indicator of the Type tool (left) and the Type tool with its baseline indicator on a path (right)
The baseline indicator of the Type tool (left) and the Type tool with its baseline indicator on a path (right)
3. Enter the type you want. Horizontal type appears along the path, perpendicular to the baseline. Vertical type appears along the path, parallel to the baseline.
TR
Tiffany_Royal
Jul 31, 2007
Ah ha! All i had to do was mess with the text wrap options in InDesign to get what I wanted. The Photoshop tips helped greatly, it was just that last text wrap bit that i was botching up. Whoo! Finally! Thanks!

Tiffany

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections