RD
Posted By
Robin_Doelly
Nov 28, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Boy do I feel a clutz having to ask this one, but here goes: I have Photoshop Elements bundled with my fantastix Nikon camera. I like to store my photos using iphoto on my Mac (running OSX panther). I can export a jpeg out of iphoto into photoshop – but I can’t get it back into iphotos as a differntly named revised version . – It’s driving me nuts, I’ve taken ‘create thumb nail on & off tried different baselines, compression amounts, check for RGB versus CMY – I just can’t think of anything else. Email me a jpeg and inverably iphoto sucks them straight in.

Any ideas?
Robin

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

LM
Lou_M
Nov 28, 2003
Hi, Robin. Yeah, it seems that iPhoto and Photoshop Elements work very differently and it can be touchy (and a learning experience!) trying to get them to work together. Let me ask a few questions, if that’s all right:

1. First of all, how are you opening the images in Elements? Are you using Elements’s file browser? Are you just using File–>Open in Elements? Are you double-clicking in iPhoto? Are you command-clicking in iPhoto and selecting Edit in External Editor? (Tip: in iPhoto Preferences, you can set Elements as the external editor.)

2. Secondly, how & where are you saving the images? Are you just clicking Save, or are you using Save As…? Are you saving them in their original location, or somewhere else? Are you saving as JPEG or PSD/Photoshop?

Lou.
JW
JP White
Nov 28, 2003
wrote:
Boy do I feel a clutz having to ask this one, but here goes: I have Photoshop Elements bundled with my fantastix Nikon camera. I like to store my photos using iphoto on my Mac (running OSX panther). I can export a jpeg out of iphoto into photoshop – but I can’t get it back into iphotos as a differntly named revised version . – It’s driving me nuts, I’ve taken ‘create thumb nail on & off tried different baselines, compression amounts, check for RGB versus CMY – I just can’t think of anything else. Email me a jpeg and inverably iphoto sucks them straight in.

Any ideas?
Robin

First, I apoligize for not answering your question, I don’t have a Mac so can’t comment.

You say that your Elements came bundled with your Nikon camera. Which Camera was that? I thought Nikon liked their Nikon Editor application over 3rd party apps.

JP
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Nov 28, 2003
Robin,

The easiest way that I know of to do this is to, like Lou already mentioned, set up Elements as your external photo editor. Then when you want to make adjustments to a photo, duplicate it first (never work on an original, even from iPhoto IMO) and then double click the image. It will open in PSE where you can make your edits/adjustments. Then you have to save the image and if you want to view it in iPhoto you also have to re import it into your library.

Joe
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Nov 28, 2003
I always export from iPhoto to the desk top, open the photograph in Elements to do any editing then save back to the desk top and finally import into iPhoto. If I am doing a lot of photographs I set up a folder on the desk top to make importing easier (and it also keeps my desk top tidy 🙂 )

There maybe a quicker method …. but doing it this way I haven’t had any problems at all.

Wendy
MR
Mark_Reibman
Nov 29, 2003
That’s a good system Wendy. Same as my own. However, I must add that you must flatten the layers after working in Elements if you want it to be taken back into iPhoto with the changes. iPhoto will import and save an image with its layers but it must be imported from the place on your hard drive where you have saved your Elements edited image (most likely in psd. format)
SS
Susan_S.
Nov 29, 2003
I import my images into iphoto (but as my hard drive still isn’t that full I still have the original downloaded images in the folders where I dump them from my card reader as well as on the CD to which they have been burnt) I cull them in iphoto, then have it set up so I can double click on the image to edit in PE – I don’t duplicate first as I already have the original elsewhere. After editing, if there is a lot of work and layers I save a PSD in the same folder as the original images, and then flatten and save as a jpeg back into the iphoto folder – as long as it’s a flattened jpg and saved into the correct iphoto folder it doesn’t seem to have a problem. I only duplicate the picture in iphoto before I edit if I want to run a slide show comparing different edits.

Susan S.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Nov 29, 2003
Mark,

I tend to use tiff format when I export from iPhoto and when I resave the edited photo I save it as a tiff but put a 1 after the name. That way I can import it into iPhoto (still with layers) and then make up my mind if I want to keep the original or not.

Wendy
RD
Robin_Doelly
Dec 4, 2003
ok well that’s interesting none of you seem to have a real volumes data type problem. If I set up iphoto to run Photoshop element automatically with a double click – which is how I think Susan is set up – then no problem. However if export to and from the desktop – it is a no goer. I am now suspecting that old nightmare of Mac OSX permissions being at the base of this. Oh dear I really don’t fancy yet an other OSX reinstall.
Thanks for your inputs
Robin
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 4, 2003
Robin, if it really is a permissions problem, you sure don’t need to do another OS install – just run repair permissions. If that doesn’t clear it up, there are a couple of other things you should try before getting drastic! Try running Repair Permissions, and if that doesn’t work, repost for more ideas.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections