DK
Posted By
david_kohn
May 27, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am unable to open Photoshop files (any format) by clicking on the file in the finder. If Photoshop is not yet open, clicking on an image file will open the Photoshop program, but will not load the image. If Photoshop is already open, nothing happens. I can open these files through the regular file.open.[filename] command in Photoshop. Files of other types (Word, Illustrator, PDF, more) open in their appropriate applications. This problem is specific to Photoshop.

Using Photoshop CS under OSX 10.3.3 on and iMac G4 with 1 gig of memory.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CC
Chris_Cox
May 27, 2004
Did you read the FAQ?
R
Ram
May 27, 2004
From the FAQ:

Scott Weichert "Double clicking/drag and drop Photoshop files opens application but not file." 5/18/04 12:55pm </cgi-bin/webx?50>
SA
Stanislav Andil
May 27, 2004
I am unable to open Photoshop files (any format) by clicking on the file in the finder too. Files of other types (Word, Illustrator, PDF, more) open in their appropriate applications. This problem is specific to Photoshop.

Using Photoshop CS CE under OSX 10.3.4 on and Dual 867 MHz PowerPC G4 with 768 MB of memory.
B
Buko
May 27, 2004
Doesn’t anyone read anymore???????
M
Mi5
May 27, 2004
I am having the exact same problem with Mac OS 10.3.3.Is there a solution?
B
Buko
May 27, 2004
Is there a solution?

only if you follow the advice given.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 27, 2004
Did any of you take the trouble to click on the link which Ramón provided:

Scott Weichert "Double clicking/drag and drop Photoshop files opens application but not file." 5/18/04 12:55pm </cgi-bin/webx?50>

THE ABOVE IS A LINK. DOUBLE-CLICK ON IT
SA
Stanislav Andil
May 27, 2004
That?s great!!!!!! Thank You!:

Another solution courtesy Anne Shelbourne

Open your Previous System folder.
Find "Adobe Unit Types".
Copy it into: <Panther volume>/Library/ScriptingAdditions/ .
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 27, 2004
Actually, I originally just forwarded advice which had been posted elsewhere in the Forums and which I had saved in my notes.
I don’t know who the original author was — but your thanks are really due to him.

:~)
DK
david_kohn
May 27, 2004
Nahhhh.

Why read and forgo the opportunity to annoy Buko?
B
Buko
May 27, 2004
Damn it david! I’m NOT ANNOYED. I’m a pixel surgen.
LA
lewis_abulafia
May 28, 2004
I’ve tried the second solution of copying Adobe Unit Types into the Scripting Additions folder without success. Does this mean I have to delete PSCS and reinstall? If so, is there anything I need to do or be aware of before doing so? Thanks for the help. Lew
CC
Chris_Cox
May 28, 2004
Yes, it means you need to reinstall.
LA
lewis_abulafia
May 28, 2004
Is that just a matter of dragging the application to the trash and emptying it? Did I need to have PS 7 already installed, as PSCS was an upgrade? Do I need to archive anything else? Again, thanks for the help.Lew
R
Ram
May 28, 2004
Yes, save anything you may have added, like 3rd party plugins, drag the application folder to the trash. Delete the preferences file. (Do a Find [Command F] in the Finder for anything with the name Photoshop and an extension of ".plist" on it.)

No the application does not need to be installed. You only need the Serial Number for the previous version and the Serial Number for the upgrade when prompted by the installer. Otherwise, the upgrade is a full application installer.
LA
lewis_abulafia
May 28, 2004
Thanks for the tips- everything worked fine. Lew
B
Buko
May 28, 2004
If you just reinstall to the desktop then throw it away it will install the files you need to open a file from the desktop.
AA
April_Arnett
Jun 3, 2004
I’m kind of a rookie with Adobe Photoshop, having kind of a similar problem. Hoping someone out there can help me. Only sometimes, after turning my computer on, when I open photoshop (Version #6.0), my toolbar at the top is not there, therefore I can’t manipulate my pics. Any suggestions?
Thanks!
R
Ram
Jun 3, 2004
Hit the Tab key.
MD
Mark_Douma
Jun 7, 2004
BTW, it may have been me who suggested it in the first place, I dunno. I did suggest that the FAQ should be corrected to make it more accurate a while back. Anyway….

For the person for which the replacing the scripting addition did not work, did you try restarting your machine afterward?
B
Buko
Jun 7, 2004
when I open photoshop (Version #6.0), my toolbar at the top is not there, therefore I can’t manipulate my pics. Any suggestions?

Read the FAQs

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections